No video before and after removing memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Professor-Falken, May 6, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

HP Pavillion XT966 had a problem when I turned it on no video and a repeated single beep a two second pause then a single beep again. Removed the one RIMM module from the first socket and computer stopped beeping,
    and hard drive seemed to be trying to boot windows but but I dont see any video,post messages, etc.
    Can someone help.

Thank you,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

it seems that you may have a a dodgy ram (the one you took out, which stopped the beep <pause> beep)
    put the 2nd ram into the 1st socket where the dodgy ram was (im assuming you have to modules)
    recheck all of the cabling, as these can easily of got dislodged when you opened the case up, or even just got dislodged *naturally*

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^.

and just to add are you using CRIMMS for termination since you are using RIMMS?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As GBL has pointed out - RIMMs are weird. If you take out a stick you must put in a special blank one, otherwise it won't work at all.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+