No smoking in England

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jul 2, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know this is a bit "lighter" than the Glasgow Airport incident, but I was wondering what you all thought of this one:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/07/01/smoking.ban.reut/index.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I'm not bothered coz i dont smoke:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What about kebabs??

When are they going to Ban them and why don't they put a warning label on them??:p :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I am overjoyed.

They say there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker, and I am no exception to that rule.

I quit two years ago, and most of my family smoke. I hate it. I hate going in to the pub and smelling of everyone else's nicotine. So I love it!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i got asthma so this is good news for me.. but the worse was going to watch footie in the pub and coming out smelling like a tobacco skunk! :p so where are people allowed to smoke?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Outside that's it.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

pub gardens?

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCTS
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Love it.

Never smoked - not even tried it. How many here can say that?

Absolute mugs game - costs shitloads of money, makes you stink and kills ya.

Next on the agenda are all the cheeky bastards I've ever worked with who have four 'smoke breaks' per day - amounting to an hour's extra work they are getting out of. Amazingly they are now taking even longer where I currently work because they now can't smoke immediately outside the building.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

I gave up smoking since September. Start about 3 weeks ago, I caved in and down to stress. However have stopped again. One place I worked at and I agree with the guy above. I was friends with the boss. We would go out for a smoke break sometimes up to 30 mins a time. Would go for 2-3 smokes a hour every day. Every one bar one guy smoked when he mentioned it the boss just laughed and was like tough. He then asked if he could pop out and get a burger.. Was told no.. He argued about us smoking but nothing happened.

You are right though. Some smokers do take the pee. Im all down for a 5 min break. I can get outside smoke back in, all in 5 mins but when people are taking 15 mins per trip its a bit of a pee take

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCTS
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Well I went out last night, and every place I went now have an "outside" area for smokers. Was actually quite funny seeing all these people squeezed in a little area marked out with rope just for a smoke. It'll take a few months for the pubs/clubs to get a decent breeze and be abit fresher thou!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Be interesting to find out what the nightclubs smell of now! (probably BO - lol!)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

stale urine and cocaine :twisted:

13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I can:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have smoked a couple of times, the longest 2 days before giving up, can never understand how people get addicted to nicotine.

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

never smoked in my life and I am pleased...but I was out on sat nite and people were still smoking even tho the club clearly has no smoking signs everywhere...they did have a smoking area but how small that was I have no idea...will take a while before it all sinks in...but thank God its started...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've never tried it. My parents both smoke, so I know how horrible of a habit it is.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

I too have never tried it, both my parents used to smoke and i hated it, when they started i would leave the room and go to my bedroom. We have had the ban in Wales since April and it is great to come home after a night out and not having your clothes stink of stale tobacco. A few years ago i recall seeing a Judge Dread cartoon where smoking is only allowed 100 miles out to sea, the cartoon pictured smokers on a boat just outside the perimeter, then an announcement comes over the tannoy that the limit is increased to 200 miles and a load of policemen steam in and shoot everyone for breaking the law,Judge Dread then says" They were killing themselves anyway, we just speeded the process up" Maybe the next step. Gary

Certifications: A+
  18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good on you, Guys - Scotland and me have been smoke free since last year. I stopped a month before the ban [May 26th] in denial of being stopped by the ban - my daughter wanted me to stop for her birthday (June) - that was my only reason.

The smokers still smoke ... outside. It's a great move :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If the Labour government had it their way they would ban us from going to the loo for a dump unless we paid some sort of tax. What i am saying is theyve banned smoking and people against smoking will go yeah thats good people will stop, more people might stop, then taxes will be raised because the government are not making the money they used to. And i think we pay enough taxes already.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If youve only smoked for two days then gave up then yes you wont understand what being addicted to them is like.

The simplest way I can describe addiction to nicotine is that you sort of feel hungry but eating food calms it for a while but doesnt stop the craving.

Have you ever wondered why people who stop get fat?

Because they eat a lot more to stem the craving, also nicotine is an appetite suppresant thats why a lot of models smoke

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?