No Signal!!!

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by stupot, Nov 25, 2005.

1. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Hi Folks,

I have a small wireless network that has constantly over the last 2 weeks no or very low signal strength. Just wondering if anyone would know a possible cause.

The kit I'm using is an ASUS wireless adapter built into mobo and a linksys router set up as an access point. The distance between antenna and access point is about 5 meters almost in direct sight.

Every now and then computer drops its connection and then cant find any networks. Network was working fine up until this weak signal problem started.

Any ideas?

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

The first thing i would rule out is interference and then try changing the channel.
    Does it make any difference if you knock the encryption off?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Like Boyce says check for any signal interferance...this could be the problem. anything you bought recently in the last 2 weeks? maybe thats whats causing it?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Don't think it would be encryption, Boyce - if it were that, there would either be a connection or no connection. It sounds to me as if the actual ADSL may be iffy here. Is the internal network running OK during these "outages" ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Try narrowing this down to wireless.
    If possible, connect the computer via ethernet (Wired).
    And see if the connection still drops.

If it doesnt then try ruling out any interference or changing router wireless settings.

Might be worth doing an updated Malware and Virus scan.

Have you tried updating your router firmware?

Could you tell us more about your network setup and maybe an 'ipconfig /all' result.

Neall

WIP: A+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The radio signal doesn't like stone walls or anything solid in the way between the aerials. You can try moving the access point around, even a foot to the left or right could improve things dramatically. Also you might want to look at changing the aerial for a larger more powerful type on the access point or the built in wireless adapter, if it has an external facility.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i sometimes had that signal drop proiblem , and i worked it out to 2 things . firstly i did a spyware scan and i had loads of stuff on the com and got rid of it , this only temporarily fixed the prob . Im using a belkin card 802.11g, and if i click on the 2 little flashing coms i can go into properties this then takes me into wireless networks , which has a little box that you have to tick to let windows manage your connection, mines started playing up again . By the way does anyone know where i can get more information on the PRE N stuff thats coming out and will it be backwards compatible???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Here is a nice little review that does mention that it is backwards compatible.

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004496.html

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)