No Signal - Pluggin HD tele into DVI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beaumontdvd, Jan 9, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, I have purchased the dvi to hdmi cable off amazon, but this adapter has the pins and then a straight line, wheras the adapter on my pc doesnt have the straight line but it seems to fit? I put it in and added a second monitor on windows xp (enabled it) changed the tele to hdmi and my desktop screen flickered but then the tele showed no signal. any Ideas guys?

Regards,

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda graphics card do you have mate, is it nvidia?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. beaumontdvd

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah its nvidea

4. beaumontdvd

Just an update, I restarted the pc and the screen is displayed on the tele up untill xp loading screen appears and then both screens flash and the tele comes up with no signal?

5. Sparky

Its been a while but I speced up some PCs for a customer with nvidia cards in them and I noticed that the DVI output was slightly different from a standard DVI cable. A standard DVI cable would fit (the one with the monitor) but we have to use a DVI splitter that came with the PC itself and then plug the monitor(s) (dual display) into that before we could get anything to show up on the monitor.

Do you have any additional cables that came with the graphics card?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Sparky

Try changing the resolution, looks like the one you are using is not supported on the TV.

7. beaumontdvd

I have one that plugs into the dvi which plits it to vga? thats about it, ill try changing the resolution now,

Thanks

8. beaumontdvd

changed the resoultion, still no luck any other ideas?

9. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Does it work in safe mode? If so, you may have the refresh rate set too high?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  10. beaumontdvd

I tried it on safemode just before your message and it works fine, does the resolution change in safe mode? I will try changing the refresh rate,

Thanks,

Dave

11. beaumontdvd

Can anyone recommend a resolution and a refresh rate? Or does anyone know whats resolution and refresh rate safe mode uses?

Regards,

12. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

how about VNC into it from another PC when it says no signal on the Tele, then play around with resolution and refresh rates until you can see something? most teles should accept 60Mhz...mine one does

Full HD resolution (1080p) is 1920 x 1080
    Half HD resolution (720p) is 1280 x 720

try these....

Depends what the fallback resolution your display card can do when no drivers installed, under safe mode I've seen resolutions auto'ed to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  13. beaumontdvd

Thanks, when you say vnc into it what exactly do you mean? Virtual connection?
    In Nvidea it says it has a Hanns.g.h display which is the lcd monitor
    and a KL 42BS11U** which is the hd tele, the hd tele has only 3 resolutions available 1920 x1080 50hz or 60hz, 1280 x 720 50hz or 60hz, 800x600 60hz.

I have tried all of them with the differnt hertz and still cant get it working past the windows loading screen, it has enable panning resolutions ticked?

14. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

It works in safe mode because XP just loads a generic VGA video driver. My advice, without being there to see what is happening, would be to go into safe mode and turn all the settings right down until the telly can display past the load screen then notch them back up until it fails again - you have discovered the max threshold for the telly. If this does not work, there must be an odd driver specific feature / setting that is causing probs.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  15. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

VNC allows you to remote into the PC plugged into the Tele (I assume you've only plugged the tele onto that PC and no other screens).

www.realvnc.com - Good for XP or below
    www.ultravnc.com - Better support for Vista or above

You install the server on the TV PC and you install the client on the spare PC you've got, allow the program from any software firewalls on the server (or turn windows firewall completely off for now)

Once set up you should be able to remote in from that spare PC, using the TV PC's IP

and from that remote you can change many resolution settings, frequencies, until the Tele PC shows up. Sometimes under display properties you'll have to right-click on the screen and select enable/attach screen for it to work. Depending on what driver, there may be extended settings you can configure, e,g, for Nvidia you get something called NVIDIA control panel, just right-click anywhere on the desktop then you'll see this,

How about on the tele, have you selected the right source? if you have an HDMI to DVI connection it will not be under PC, rather then PC, it'd be on one of the HDMI connections there. PC mode is for non-HD, standard VGA one only, and maximum resolution for this type of connection is 1280 x 1024 - not 1440 x 900 in most cases (which gives you a stretched display unless you select 4:3 mode)

16. beaumontdvd

Hi, just an update, I started the pc in VGA mode and the pc screen and the hd tele work past the loading screen, but its a bit fuzzy as its in 640x480 8bit when changing to 16bit the tele has no display, hope this helps?

17. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Most new TVs can take any resolution and frequency, but yours might be different, what the make and model?

18. beaumontdvd

I was given it from a friend, it says 60hz on the back and is I0N? Or something like that? Its 19inch,

Regards,

19. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Have you looked into the advanced settings:

Go to Display Properties > Settings > Advanced and browse through all the options to see if you can find something?

With my GeForce card I have the TV option somehow and this ensures the picture is optimized for a TV screen.