No one offering Microsoft courses or exams in my area, help!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by davros100, Sep 26, 2013.

1. davros100

davros100 New Member

Hi

I haven't done a Microsoft course in a long time so I thought I would try and improve my CV and get out there and do a few courses and exams. My problem is pretty simple no one offers Microsoft server courses or exams anywhere in my area. I did the server 2003 course and there where a lot of colleges in my area offering these back in 2006 but they seem to have dropped them entirely. The only course my local colleges and University's are offering now is CCNA. I have done a search for a few hours and I can't find anyone in my area at all.

I'm on the south coast of the UK in Portsmouth, my only option at this point is to do a 5 day course in London but this will be incredibly expensive as I will either need to take a week off work pay for the course plus train (which is expensive) or hotel. My local colleges used to offer these courses at evenings over a few months which was great.

Is anyone else having these problems? it seems like no one wants to offer Microsoft courses anymore.

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I wanted to do a few MTAs but again nothing in my area, all London... Luckily my local college offers most of the certs I want to do. Dont really know what to tell you... is self-study an option?

3. davros100

davros100 New Member

Yeah I thought about doing some self study, I have been doing server/network admin for 8 years so I think I will be ok. Sadly no one offers even the exam option which is a real shame. Everyone has dropped there Microsoft partnerships. I found CompTIA training so I could just take there server exam and then move onto CCENT/CCNA. It would have been nice to do a server 2012 course as we will be upgrading to that soon.

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I live in Worthing, and have to go to Global Knowledge in Wokingham to sit my MS exams. Bit of a trek, but it's the nearest practical place. They offer courses too so you could check them out - but with our experience it's probably not necessary to do a course, I say you'd be fine with self study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

Yeah I'm in the same boat, just went up to Wokingham yesterday and live in Sussex too. There used to be places in Brighton, Burgess Hill and Guildford but they've all gone.

With regards to courses in London, they usually run quite long. My colleague is doing one in a few weeks that goes from 8am - 8pm, so if you take travel time and costs into consideration, you're better off booking a hotel in London!

Certifications: 6x MCP, MCDST, MCSA Server 2003, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: None