1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No No Internet in Windows 7 on a VMware VM...???

Discussion in 'Virtual Computing' started by hugorilho, May 17, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

I've downloaded Win7 RC1 and installed on a VMware VM. I can't get win7 to install a network device driver. I want to use VMWare workstation's NAT network configuration so that it could share my host's IP address but it simply does not install a network driver. I've used the troubleshooting feature on win7 and it pointed out this particular problem...what should I do? I've followed these instructions (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/136676) but it did not work...has any of you guys had a similar problem?

Certifications: MCDST
  2. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

After googling this problem I remembered how stupid I was not to report this situation to the vmware forums. They came up with this solution: open the win7 vmx file with notepad and make sure that you have the line...

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

...in that file. If don't you could just copy/paste the line to the end of the file, save it and close. life is good again. I hope that this will be helpful to those here who had this problem. Cheers.

3. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hehe...looks like I'm the only interested in this topic. Oh well. I like this forum so if anyone has had similar problem here's another explanation to it that I've posted on the vmware forums:

The VM was created with version 6.5.1 a few weeks ago. I can't remember exactly if it had Vista as an option. I update to version 6.5.2 today trying to solve this problem. Also, the VM was originally intended to have XP on it but in the end I didn't installed it but kept the VM. Later, i got win7 and installed it on the spare VM. Problem solved!

Cheers mates!

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Even though I haven't run into the issue yet, this is great information to have. Thanks!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822