No luck finding my first I.T job help!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by wez pipes 69, Feb 19, 2007.

1. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

Hi peoples just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting my first role in i.t. I've passed my a+ 2 months ago and still can't get a job! I am aware that in the industry u need experience but how the hell can i get experience with no job! I was wondering also do i need more certs first because i'm currently working yowards my mcse. Please help!!!

Certifications: a+
    WIP: mcse
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What jobs have you been considering and how have you been trying to find a job?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

A+ should be enough to get a foot in the door. What kind of jobs are you going for and how are you promoting yourslef in your CV?

Post up your CV so we can have a look (take out any personal details)

I have a section on my website about getting experience and the kind of non technical skillset interviewers focus on if it helps:

http://www.first-computer-job.com/it-work-experience.html

Good luck

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

I've just been applying 4 helpdesk roles. I'll post my cv in 2 secs,your cv advise would be very usefull cos i think mine is crap!!!

5. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

WORK EXPERIENCE

07/2006 - Present Pitney Bowes MM Teleperformance,
    St James House, Wilder Street, Stokes Croft, Bristol, BS2 8QY

CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT/TELESALES

Responsibilities: Outbound/Inbound Calling to nationwide businesses
    Aim to sell Franking Machines to businesses
    Dealing with customers queries
    Achieving performance targets

03/2000 – 05/2006 Gloucestershire County Cricket Ground, Nevil Road
    Bishopston , Bristol, BS7 9EJ

PROFESSIONAL CRICKETER

Responsibilities: Playing cricket, improving my skills whilst working with the coaching staff and learning from experienced players. Also to stay fit and work well in a team environment, build good relationships between supporters, club sponsors and the players.

09/2003- 02/2004 Yellow pages (Talking Pages) Broadmead, Bristol

INBOUND CUSTOMER SERVICE

Responsibilities: Providing customer services assistance with general queries. Working on a database which store business and residential contact details (Directory Enquiries)

09/2001- 02/2002 Jury’s Hotel, Broadmead, Bristol

RESERVATIONS ASSISTANT

Responsibilities: Dealing with customer reservations/cancellations and booking excursions on request over the phone and e-mail.
    General reception duties such as handling customer queries face to face, handling cash and/or foreign exchange and compiling guest bills.

EDUCATION
    02/2007 IT Skills Group
    MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)
    (Currently studying)

Comptia A+ Certification (2003) Core Hardware
    This course entails installing, troubleshooting, and maintaining PC hardware
    Comptia A+ Certification (2003) Operating Systems Technologies
    Knowledge of operating systems (Windows 9x, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, and Windows 2000). Windows ME and Windows XP

09/2001 –06/2002 Filton College
    GNVQ: Information Technology (Pass)

09/ 2000 – 06/2001 St. Brenden’s College
    As Level: Business Studies (D), English Language (C)

09/1995 – 06/2000 Clifton College
    10 GCSEs: including English Language (A), IT (C)

ADDITIONAL SKILLS & ACHIEVEMENTS

I.T. Skills: Confident PC & Internet user: Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint & Word.

Driving Licence: Full UK driving licence and present car owner.

Voluntary Role: Successfully set up and support coaching for inner city youth.

Achievements: Awarded a full scholarship to Clifton College.
    Played professional cricket for Gloucestershire County Cricket Club.
    Played cricket England under 19’s

REFEREES (full details available on request)

6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

You have the right skillset,

I'd start out with all the relevant skills the employers will be looking for - the technical knowledge certs and customer facing experience.

Really play that one up straight away don't make them have to look for it.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

thanks pete01. I found your website helpfull also.Oh yeah what types of roles would u recommend me 2 apply 4 2 get my foot in the door?

8. eddietop

eddietop Bit Poster

yeah make sure you have your IT qualifications right at the top. Also have a decent covering letter explaining why you want the job and why you think you are the right person for it.

You have the right skillset for a entry job into the industry, so keep at it and you will land a job eventually!

Certifications: N+
    WIP: BSc Computer Secuirty
  9. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

10. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

Thanks all 4 the great advice!

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You do have the right skills for a helpdesk job. I would reword the MCSE though, the first time I read it it looked like you actually have the MCSE cert!

Try and put all the IT stuff at the top of the C.V, I had to read all the way through unrelated material before I got to your IT qualifications.

How about a personal statement at the beginning? "CompTIA certified professional with x experiance etc etc......"

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Have you applied for any temporary contract jobs? They're a great way to build up your CV.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

One of the things that I have always been told when I was younger is that you should present yourself in a professional manner at every opportunity. Posts that substitute '4' for 'for' and '2' for 'to' create a very bad impression. Why? It has been heard on several occasions that those who interview you could frequent forums like this, and if they don't interview you they could pass on thoughts of what they has seen about your character on forums.

When you make your way into IT you'll be surprised who you might bump into.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you considered volunteering for IT work experience?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Entry-level jobs are just that - jobs you can use to enter the IT field. And you certainly qualify for those. You just have to sell yourself in your CV. Tailor your CV so that if a stranger looks at it, they can tell what you can do. Great advice, above - put your certifications at the top so they stand out somewhat. Also, state what you can do. I have a section in my resume that gives a quick snapshot of what employers can expect when they hire me:

Obviously, yours will look different, but you get the idea.

Make your CV as clean and easy to read as possible. You've literally got 10-15 seconds to capture their attention before they put your resume in the "continue considering" stack or in the "circular bin" that's taken to the dumpster every day.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

To be honest I'm also having this problem and I think it could be down to my C.V. Would anyone with a decent C.V that got them a job in IT be able to send me a copy of theirs (leaving out the personal details obviously) so I could word my own around the structure of your C.V? Would be a great help. Or if you have MSN messenger be able to take a look at mine for me?

Thanks
    Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  17. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Hi

I've got the same problem as wez pipes 69...
    I'm on the way to ccna certificate...(two weeks left to exam)
    My problem is lack of experience...also i think that my nationality and level of english (as you see ;) ) could be a problem with getting a job in IT.
    What do you think about it ?
    What's your advice in that case?

Kind regards
    Thanks for any help

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP
  18. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will take on board all your comments.:biggrin