No Keyboard / Mouse at POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neall, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Hello folks.

I had to replace the motherboard and power supply on a customers computer. The original problem was that it was randomly not turning on.
    The power supply was making a ticking noise, but still powering up the PC. I replaced it because it was on its way out, and since i was putting a new motherboard in, i didnt want to risk damaging it with a dodgy PSU.
    Anyways, i replaced both, and things went fine, even got away with a repair install.
    I gave it a health check, applied updates and tested it before giving it back.
    He then phoned up and said his keyboard and mouse wasnt working. I told him to try another one because when i first turned his computer on it took out my KVM switch, so i figured it could have done the same to his. He got hold of another set and they still never worked. I told him to try entering the bios setup, or F8 for safe mode, to rule out software issues, and neither worked.
    He then brought it back, i tried it and things were fine.
    I havent been onsite yet so it could be user error.
    Does anyone have any other ideas about what could be going wrong here, that im overlooking?

Thanks in advance

Neall

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is he using a KVM switch? Could just be some kind of prob with it.

3. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Hi mate... nah, there's no KVM switch.

Neall

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What type of Keyboard / Mouse is he using? If it's USB then there may be something in the BIOS that needs enabling. I've seen cases before where the mouse gets detected, but not the keyboard if they're both USB.

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Have you made sure that the mouse and keyboard are in the right ps2 port (if you are using ps2 that is). I've seen this done hundreds of times where people plug them in the wrong way around.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Both keyboard and mouse are PS2 and ive had them check that they are in the right one. Ive just had a closer look at the two PS2 ports and there seems to heavy scratches round the holes as if they have been trying to force them in.
    It's probably down to user error. :dry

Neall

7. michael78

I would look at the pins on the ps2 plugs. I've seen it pretty often where people force the connection in and end up bending, snapping or pushing the pins into the plug.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  8. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Yeah, could be the case.
    Although they have tried a couple of set's and neither work.

9. michael78

As a last try have you tried loading default settings in the BIOS. If that doesn't work then maybe your looking at a faulty motherboard.

Did you reinstall the OS when you swapped the motherboard's over? If you didn't and it's a different make/model then you might have to remove the drivers and re-add them.

10. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Mouse and keyboard work fine my end so that would rule out the motherboard. And he can't get into the bios setup or safe mode his end, ruling out a driver issue.

Neall

11. michael78

When you state the above do you mean through remote control software using your mouse and keyboard? Sorry just the way you worded it is confusing me a bit...:oops:

12. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Just my grammer mate :biggrin

Im using a keyboard and mouse directly.

Neall

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Does he realise that you have to turn the PC off if you are playing around with PS2 type plugs and sockets. That they are not hot swappable like USB?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, i have seen a mobo go due to this....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Yeah, would be worth asking. But i had him turn the computer off and try entering the bios setup.
    He is bringing his keyboard and mouse in to me today so hopefully that will tell me more about what he was doing.
    Will keep you updated.

Neall

16. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Just to close... It turns out that he was trying to hot swap the ps2 connections. Well spotted Bluerinse. You just can't trust people to do what you ask them over the phone.
    New keyboard and mouse on order and well instructed to plug them in while the computer is off :dry

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad to be of assistance :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)