No IT jobs, look again...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well I have to say that I was impressed. I went thru last Thursday's local job paper and found at least 13 IT related jobs advertised (for one advertised job, they're looking for multiple people), ranging from trainee to senior positions, from project management to software engineering & web design to hardware support. This covers the civil service to public service to private employers/companies.

I'm just impressed :D ok it's early as my son woke me up, so I still half asleep...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

In the Telegraph? That's not typical. Also, those jobs were mostly at NHS Bedfordshire :P About an hour's drive. So not *realllllyyyy* local.

There have been a few jobs going generally though, plenty in Kettering. Not many in Corby. I don't really know about anywhere else.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  3. Kitkatninja

There were only 2 at the NHS hospital though, granted a few were in Milton Keynes, but that's still an acceptable distance if you want to move jobs :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Which paper was this Ken?, the Chronicle & Echo?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Kitkatninja

No, it's the Evening Telegraph.

-Ken

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Nothing like that many in my neck of the woods. Maybe one or two in a month.

Also, have not yet found a way of getting the small job ads from the local papers in surrounding areas easily - both Jobcentre and Library unable to help and it's not really practical to drive to the areas each week due to cost. Their websites don't carry the local small ads and only direct you off to major jobsites which don't carry the ads.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Kitkatninja

Pity, any more news on the job you went for?

-Ken

8. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Not that many positions here in Essex, not for web designer or developers anyway. Hardly any actually! Beginning to think i live in the Twilight zone??
    Mind you....there's jobs galore in London, which is only an hour's drive from me. But London :( , who want's to work in that hussle and bussle!

So anyone know of any design agencies that work from Essex, let me know please? :)

- Neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

UKDarkstar, try http://www.jobstoday.co.uk/ they carry most of the jobs found in our local papers.

Best thing to do is buy the local rag and see if any of the jobs are in it.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Cheers for that link m8 :thumbleft (rep given)

trouble with trying to but the local papers is that for the surrounding areas I'd have to go about 25 miles west, 30 miles east and 40 miles north. Just on Jobseekers Allowance so it's not really practical to spend the money travelling. You can get the papers sent but again only if you subscribe for a year.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Some jobcentres and connextions, libraries, college careers centres etc carry local papers for job hunts.

Personally I'd say that 90%+ of IT jobs never appear in the press these days, if its IT related it should be on the net somewhere...

12. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Can I just add that HMRC does often advertise it's own vacancies on the HMRC Internet site. Other Government Departments will do likewise, I am sure. We have/had a number of architecture jobs on.

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

14. Kitkatninja

That's true, the DWP does it on their own website. There is also the Civil Service gateway which advertises vancanies across most, if not all, branches of the Civil Service :)

-ken

15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It seems like some people are forcy as I personally think traveling to work in an hour is reasonable. Well maybe some people are better off starting their own IT business if that's the attitude:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I agree - I'm actually willing to travel up to about an hour and a quarter each way for work. Hwoever, my issue is with jobhunting on a limited budget (JSA only) which is just £60.50 a week. On that I can't afford to make three trips a week to outlying areas to purchase copies of local papers and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting hold of them - library, no - Jobcentre, no - their websites (don't publish the local job ads) etc etc

17. Kitkatninja

While I believe that traveling up to an hour is reasonable for a job, there are a few things to consider like:

1. Improved work/life balance: One of the companies I worked for, it could take me up to 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a good day to get to work, then another 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Now a days it take between 5 -10 mins, alot more time with my family.

2. No car/licence/own transport & Poor public transport.

3. Lack of/reduced finances.

4. Travel costs aren't financial viable (eg wage of new job, after travel costs, would be significantly less than required amount needed per month).

-Ken

18. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

If I drove I would not mind an hour long commute, one of the Senior men over at Debt Free Direct commutes from Northampton to near Liverpool every morning haha, he sure does love his job.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  19. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Kens right work life balance is essential, it takes me about the same time as ken to get to work and i'd be happy to extend that up to about 30 minutes to go anywhere else, but dont forget you "work to live" and its never the other way round for me. I'm just very thankful that I can do a job that I am interested in rather.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing