No idea what cert to go for please help!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Juelz, May 9, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi please can someone give me some advice.. basically I want to get an entry job in tech support.. I have been advised to go for a MS qualification instead of a comptia.. but Im unsure what one to go for. Im also worried that MS quals become outdated quickly. Please advise

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

If you have no experience, then the Comptia A+ is the best bet.

Microsoft used to offer the MCDST which was the basic qualification. Unfortunately now there are none on that level, when they all moved to the MCTS / MCITP route.

There are other Microsoft qualifications called the MTA ( MTA Certification & Exams | Microsoft Learning ) which are geared towards entry level, but I still think the A+ and then the N+ are better.

3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Agreed. Even though you have been advised to ignore comptia... I personal would build a solid foundation of knowledge to build upon (A+ and Network+) that will help with learning towards the tougher MS Exams. It'll make you more awesome all round. :)

It may be an idea to look towards ITIL as well.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Agreed with previous posts, look at the Comptia entry level certs.

Having said that, you could also start applying for first line Helpdesk/Servicedesk roles now! Many first line roles are primarily answering phones and e-mails and trying to complete basic fixes, and as such many of the employers will just as happily employ someone with great soft skills and customer service, as they would someone with technical skills. The sort of technical skills generally required at 1st level are easily taught to most anyone, An ability to communicate and build rapport with customers is much harder to teach IMO.

Obviously the market is competitive at the moment with high unemployment etc, but as long as you demonstrate good communication and an eagerness to learn, then you could still be in with a shout. If you can get your foot in the door too then it may also make your studying a little easier as you will get more exposure to things that you are likely to come across in your entry level certs etc.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

thanx people!

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Another vote for A+ and N+ for a complete beginner. I don't have those but I got into IT in the good old days with just my A Levels and GCSE's, so I went for MS certs because I had experience working in IT for 8 years ish at that time. I'm rambling, A+ N+ you can't go wrong

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs