1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No dial-peers needed?

Discussion in 'Voice' started by Septima77, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Septima77

Septima77 Nibble Poster

I have a question concerning dial-peers, or the lack of them.

At home I have a 2611xm which runs cme 3.3 and has a CIPC in a 192.168.1.0 network.
    This router is connected to a 3640 router via 172.16.1.0 network.
    A Laptop with CIPC is connected to the 3640 router via a 10.0.1.0 network.
    There is RIP routing between the routers.

Both CIPC's register with the 2611xm's cme. Everything is fine here.

However, what really puzzles me is that I can ring from one CIPC to the other without configuring dial-peers despite the fact that they are on different networks and different routers.

When I do a show ephone I can see the ccme knows the IP addresses of the registered CIPC's.
    Apparently you don't need dial-peers for ip phones if they register at the same ccme.
    Does any know where I can find documentation on this subject?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    Certifications: CCNA CCNAS CCNAV
    WIP: CCVP
  2. Septima77

Septima77 Nibble Poster

Well, I found the answer: CME creates automatically dial peers for every ephone-dn.
    The way you can find out:

R#show dial-peers voice summary
    TAG TYPE MIN OPER PREFIX DEST-PATTERN FER THRU SESS-TARGET STAT
    PORT
    1002 voip up up 1002 0 syst ipv4:172.16.1.2

Amazing.

Certifications: CCNA CCNAS CCNAV
    WIP: CCVP
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have no idea what you're on about, but I'm please you found your solution! :biggrin

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

hahaha ditto!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. VoiceMentor

VoiceMentor New Member

Septima77,

The answer to your question is actually relatively simple to understand. CME, formerly IOST (IOS Telephony Service) is as you know a cut down IOS based IPT call processing solution.

So let me put it like this, when you register 2 phone in Callmanager - they can't call each other until they have a DN right? But once you assign the DN, CM knows where to direct the call via its mapping tables internally.

CME is really no different, except when the client (not just a CIPC) or handset registers to the CME system, if auto assign is enabled, then the mac devices or clients will be assigned a dynamic DN from the pool of numbers allocated. Since CME operated in IOS, it dynamically creates IOS dial-peers corresponding to the DN to hand (typically commencing with 200---). You will see this also in SRST configurations in FallBack mode (show dial-peer voice summary).

As a result, registering your client(s) means you don't need to create Dial-peers as that is done by default each time you create a DN. For example, when you configure the CME, and enter the command MAX-DN 10, then 10 default dial-peers will be created and ready to use when you create the DN numbers.

Also worth noting that being a default dial-peer, that it is actually possible to create dial-peer conflicts by creating a standard manual dial-peer the same as the ephone-dn dial-peer (rare - but this will help you understand the background).

I hope this helps with some of the theory?

Best regards,