No D Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simon, Nov 25, 2004.

1. simon

simon New Member

I seem to have lost my d drive, which I think happened after I downloaded some updates for win 2k from Microsoft web site.

The error message I am getting is "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

It is a Matshita CW 7502 CDR, It would appear that this device has no associated Device Manager error codes. I have tried updating driver details and uninstalling / reinstalling hardware.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Simon

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Have to tried rolling back to the earlier driver? It's possible that the new driver is corrupt. If you roll back to the earlier one, it's possible the device will start working again.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers doesnt always work, even when you uninstall the driver, windows keeps it on file, you need to track down the actual file, and manually delete it. then if you reinstall the driver it might work. have you checked with the manufacturer? there may be a newer version of the drivers!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. simon

simon New Member

I have tried to see if I can get any more info on what drivers are required for this but it appears you do not need a driver as it should run on the windows software.

The files that are listed in the driver details are -
    C:\WINNT\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
    C:\WINNT\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
    C:\WINNT\system32\storprop.dil

I'm not sure if I should be deleting these files or not. When I tried it appeared to delete them and then come back again and the C:\WINNT\system32\storprop.dil file does not appear to be on the system. Also getting various error messages in the event viewer :

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Cdr4_2K pin1394

The Cdralw2k service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

At a loss what to do next.

5. Fergal1982

whilst windows can operate most devices using its own drivers, its always better to install the devices drivers to ensure that you get full functionality.

try completely removing the device from device manager, then remove the device from the system physically and reboot. after that power the machine down and reinstall the device and boot up. hopefully windows will see the device and install it for you.

another option (possibly to do before the above) is to load your CMOS settings and see if the device is being detected in there. if its not, then its more likely to be the device thats at fault than the OS. if its not there, double check the connections and try again.

is the system detecting the drive at all? is it powering up? is it being accessed?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. simon

simon New Member

I did check the CMOS settings and it did not appear to be detected there, I have win98 also installed on my computer and when I loaded that up the D drive wasn’t there either.

I presume it was just coincidence that I seemed to loose it at roughly the same time that I downloaded updates for win2k as it wouldn’t have affected the win98 so it looks like the CD-ROM could be faulty like Fergal suggested.

Thanks for your help with this, looks like a trip to PC World might be in order

7. Fergal1982

woah there. i wouldnt assume its the drive first. after all, if its the cable you'll kick yourself. cables are cheaper to replace than the drives themselves.

i'd pick up another cable and try it with that, it might work. you could also try installing the drive on another machine (after all, it could be the controller thats screwed), and maybe try another drive in the same place as the faulty drive to see if that one works (if you dont have these, try and pester a friend to borrow their pc for 20 mins or so).

its worth a try before you go an buy another drive. its what id do (course, with drives being so cheap lately its always an option - you could probably get a DVD-R somewhere quite cheap!)

Fergal