No computers in workgroup

Discussion in 'Networks' started by datarunner, Aug 8, 2007.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

ive seen this loads of times and its annoying so i thought id ask. Ive setup a simple workgroup with 2 pcs on the same subnet but when i go to my network places then view workgroup computers nothing shows on either pc.

computers are connected to a netgear router by cat5 cable and can both get www access. The ping command works both ways but they just cant see each other for file sharing etc. Ive unloaded all firewall software as well.

Any ideas?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This may sound simple, but are you sure both PC's workgroup name are the same?

Right click - My computer, Properties

Sometimes the default workgroup is MSHome, sometimes it's Workgroup.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

yep same name - i should have mentioned that

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Have you enabled file sharing?

What happens if you enter \\ip_address_of_remote_machine\c$ at the run box?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Cough> This is a common misconception. :biggrin The Workgroup names are just for convenience - they do not have to be the same for sharing to happen.

Each year a whole group of nutters descends on a Dorset hotel for a weekend of computing, chat and good food. Many of us take our computers with us and we set up a quick network in a room of the hotel. Although the workgroup names are legion we never have any difficulty in getting shareing to work.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hmm never knew that worked

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've only mentioned that cause I've had problems with this before, different workgroups won't stop you sharing, however it was mentioned that when he looks in "My Network Places" he can't see the other PC and that is what I understood as the problem.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

It's sometimes a BROWSER problem. Try 'Search' for the other computers - often they 'appear' and will do so ever after.

Also, you do need to have set folders to be shared.

Using Simple File Sharing or NTFS permsissions? If the latter, you will need a username on each box that has permission for the folder before it is seen.

Also, don't use NULL passwords.

Might help.......

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

datarunner,

Questions:
    1. Which operating system is running on the first PC?
    2. Which operating system is running on the second PC?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sometimes you just have to wait a while for the browser service to do it's election thing :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I had a problem sharing printers across a workgroup and this may help for the file sharing problem if its an authentication issue.

On computer A you have login 'A' you use.
    On computer B you have login 'B' you use.

Now on computer A make a duplicate of login 'B' (username + password)
    and
    do the same for computer B, make a duplicate login of 'A' (username + password)

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

hippy is right about the access issue (the joys of admining a workgroup) however that shouldnt stop you seeing other computers, you just wont be able to access them.

Are you sure that you have unloaded all the firewall software, I know that certain versions of norton and zonelabs leave some active portions of their programs on the machines which effectivly means it is still firewalled (i've had that issue before) also I assume that file and print sharing has been enabled as an exception in windows firewall if that is still running.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing