No choice of OS on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Patient-Edd, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Patient-Edd

Patient-Edd Bit Poster

Hi,

I have just upgraded my PC with some new hardware and Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed win7 in a new hard drive and still have XP on my older hard drive. Both are working fine still, except when I boot I have no choice of OS, which I thought I should get, and it boots straight to win7. The only way I can change the OS is to pick the right disk in BIOS.

Don't really want to have to do this every time I boot, how do I get the black screen up on boot to choose the OS I want to use. Have looked everywhere but all the tutorials and videos suggest it should just happen after installing win7.

Not sure if this is a problem but win7 is 64-Bit and XP is 32-Bit.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Edd

Certifications: CertCompMath (open)
    WIP: MCDST, BSc (Hons) Computing
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Right click my computer, select properties. Select advanced settings on the left. Click the settings button under startup and recovery. There are options in there to toggle displaying of the os list, and the default os.

alternatively, you might need to look into bcdedit

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Did you install windows 7 with or without the XP hard disk attached?

By the sounds of it, the XP disk wasn't attached when you installed and the system didn't pick up that you have anoter OS installed and therefore you don't get the choich as to which IS you boot from.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Patient-Edd

Patient-Edd Bit Poster

Looks like I may have to look at bcdedit, the settings doesn't see the other OS in either win7 or XP.

Nugget XP was attatched to the mobo.

Haven't done much with win7 so may do a fresh install.

Thanks,

Edd

Certifications: CertCompMath (open)
    WIP: MCDST, BSc (Hons) Computing