No battery detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miro, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

My friend has got Sony Laptop. He could not tell me the exact model.Will know tomm.
    The laptop runs Vista Business.The problem is that error appear "No battery detected".
    Before the battery was fine. He said that he cleaned up the connections but it did not help.
    He reinstall the system too but still the same.So he has asked me for help but I am not sure too.
    I have told him to update the BIOS first. If not that it might be some PSU fault. Oh and the laptop works fine with the power adaptor connected to the wall socket.
    What do you think?

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

replace battery?

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Stop right there. Without you actually seeing the laptop there is no way to accurately diagnose what the problem is. the two most likely culprits are:

1 lUser error - I've seen this plenty of times when people treat their laptops like s*** and end up with a battery that doesn't quite fit the bay correctly and have 'fixed' it by wiggling it into the socket and making a connection. This will mean a new laptop is in order more often than not - as batteries are designed to fit snugly and won't work for any great length of time with any consistency if they have to be jury-rigged to stay in place.

2 The battery needs replacing because the user either doesn't understand the concept of battery 'memory' (usually the same sort of berk who refuses to let their mobile run down properly on a regular basis) and only lets about 10% of the battery drain before plumbing it straight back into AC, or because it is flat out dead - finito - kaput - run down the curtain to join the choir invisibule. In the first instance, the laptop manufacturer may have a recalibration utility you can download from their website. In the second, a new battery is required. Most batteries are rated for a year of regular use - despite what some manufacturers may tell you to the contrary.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em