NMap fundamentals - an introduction

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zebulebu, Aug 12, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

As part of my CEH studies I had to ensure that my NMap knowledge was up to scratch. Part of this process involved me going through a load of notes I'd made on the tool in the past, acquainting myself with features I hadn't used very often (or at all, in some cases) and writing some crib notes for myself prior to taking the exam. As it turned out, I needn't have worried because the exam wasn't as difficult as I'd been expecting!

Meh.

I'm going to post a 'cleaned up' version of my notes in the next few weeks. Hopefully these will be of use to anyone who wants to get to know NMap a bit better, or for peeps wanting to take the CEH exam.

I'm going to break this down into three different sections.

The first will be an introduction to NMap - the fundamentals of using the tool, moving onto basic TCP/IP stack theory and concluding with some simple scans.

The second section will cover more advanced scanning topics - including the different types of scans possible with NMap, when to run those scans, why certain scans will work better against certain targets and an introduction to OS Fingerprinting.

The third and final section will cover O/S Fingerprinting in detail, and also touch on topics like outputting results of scans, tricks you may be able to use to make your scans stealthier and some 'real world' scenarios where you could use NMap.

If anybody wants any more information on specifics of using what is probably the finest of open source tools in the security admin's arsenal, feel free to ask. I'm hoping to be able to sanitise my notes into something approaching a useful format during this week and maybe post something up towartds the end of the week or over next weekend. Have patience with me if it takes a bit longer - the 'day job' is a bit of a bear at the moment!

Also, don't be afraid to give me any constructive criticism you may have after you've read the first part - I'm aiming to make this as readable as possible because I'll be giving classes at work to some of the other guys there, so any advice that helps me make it easier to understand the notes will be appreciated!

Cheers

Zeb

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Cheers zeb, looking forward to it ! :biggrin

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sounds great Zeb, also looking forward to it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Me too mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm waiting with them. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nugg - the first one's been posted, its a sticky at the top of this forum. I'm working on the second one, but its taking a back seat at the moment due to problems at work. I hope to have it finished this weekend.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em