NITLC new member?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JonnyMX, Feb 2, 2010.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That was weird.

Yesterday I know I saw a member online calling themselves NITLC and having a good trawl through the T&D threads, with a joining date of yesterday.

Now there's no sign of them and they don't seem to be in the member's list.

Am I going mad, or did anyone else notice?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. NITLC

NITLC New Member

Hi Jonny,

You are not going mad; we are National IT Learning Centre. We have been looking through the forums relating to Advent Training and the students that have been affected by this closure.

We have submitted a new thread in 'Training and Development' offering free A+ workshop placements to Advent students currently studying this module. This is based on feedback we've seen here, and on other forums, stating that many had not yet managed to complete this part of their course.

Because it was our first post to Certforums, we are currently awaiting the ok from a mod before it goes live on the forum.

Regards,

NITLC

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thank goodness for that!
    I thought I was going mad.

Or being affected by some sort of hypnosis caused by seeing your banner at the top of the forum for the last 6 months... :blink

Hello and welcome.

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I've just had a look at it and it's now approved. Another good offer for ex-Advent victims.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Maybe we need a sub-forum called 'Training Provider Victims' !!! :biggrin

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

And one for 'concerned parents'...

7. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

It does look a good offer but what happens after it, will people then be duped into going for their MCSE course with them or be left alone to make their own choices about their next step?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  8. NITLC

NITLC New Member

Hi J1mmg,

To answer the question in your words; yes people will be left alone to make their own choices.

As already communicated in our posting, it is a genuine offer that has been agreed at Director level. It’s understandable that some may think there is a catch but there really isn’t.

Apart from offering our time, advice and expertise we will not be bearing any costs (apart from offering a little lunch on the workshops) and we feel that it is a worth while project and inline with our mission and values as a TP.

Regards,

NITLC

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah, the plan is revealed.

Nothing is every truly free... there's always a reason behind what is done, even if it's a well-intentioned reason.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

If there's genuinely no catch, and we have to take you at your word, then good on you. I am sure it will help a few people affected by the fallout from the demise of Advent.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, the catch is, it's a bit of free self-promotion, and you never know, students may be so impressed by the facilities that they decide to sign up for some courses.

So, no harm done - just remember to leave some brochures out on the coffee tables. :biggrin

12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

But most importantly keep the sales people away - brochures are fine, hard sell isn't!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay guys, as far as I remember, some of the mods and ex-mods here have recommended NITLC in the past as one of the good guys amongst TPs.

Wind your necks in.:x

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

15. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I did my MCDST through NITLC, and I was very happy with everything they did to help me gain my qualification....would i recommend them?..........yes I would, if you have a few quid spare!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  16. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Thanks you for your reply.

The reason behind it was that i was sold a msce course by one of your salesmen for over £4500. I had no IT expierence and was working in a bar at the time, have now been advised that this shouldnt of happened for someone with my level of expierence. I was also shown a the progress chart of the course with paper cuttings on it saying network administrator £35k and other jobs round about this salary and the saleman advised i could be earning this after i get to the MCSA stage. He also mentioned the course would take about 2 years but did not mention that if it took langer then you would expect me to pay you even more money.

Now, i should of done my research before taking it out but i never. I also got into money trouble and was unable to pay part of the deposit so you wouldnt send out anymore books and then once i got that resolved after 7 months, i should of planned better but found the A+ quite challenging due to alot of theory, but once you got your money you really supplied no help, just a login in to a poor forum where you were lucky if it got one post a day. I never recieved any support in the form of a phone call from any tutors or anything.

So you must see why i am maybe asking the previous question.

Thanks

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  17. NITLC

NITLC New Member

Hi J1mgg

We are surprised to hear your comments regarding your course and we take this very seriously. Tutor support is available to all students by phone and email whenever requested, and extensions beyond the original course duration are usually free in the first instance provided we can see that you have been working consistently to achieve your qualifications.

Because it’s not possible to determine simply from your post which of our students you are, we cannot respond to this with the specifics of your situation; however, I would ask you to contact our Student Services Manager, David Greenwood to discuss this further. You can reach him on 01636 612226 or [email protected]

Regards,

NITLC

18. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

So, NITLC, do you actually sell MCSE courses for people who are not actually in the IT business, when Microsoft say that for certain certifications you should be in the appropriate position for 6 or 12 months?

Interested to see the reply and, if you do, the reasoning behind it.

19. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Your one person speaking on behalf of a company, please just use I or I may get confused and believe you to be the borg....:p

Otherwise, welcome, and I do hope you can improve the opinion of some of us in regards to TPs. The A+ workshops are a good start!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  20. NITLC

NITLC New Member

Hi GiddyG,

We have said from the start that NITLC are not looking for this to be a sales opportunity. This is a genuine offer and we're not trying to use this forum to promote our courses but purely as a route for contacting Advent students who may benefit from the workshops. However, you raise an interesting question, and we don't want to duck this issue.

We all agree that anyone wanting to gain an MCSE related job would need more than the certifications on their own. Relevant experience in the industry is essential and no-one can just walk into a job at that level. Those students who come to us with no prior experience in the industry, are always advised and helped to get entry level positions or any hands-on experience to go with their qualifications as soon as possible. The requirement of gaining this experience before being able to move onto higher level career paths is made clear to students throughout our enrolment process.