Night shift

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by twizzle, Apr 30, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well for the next 2 nights i'm working from around 20:00 to 06:00 (or whatever time in the morning we finish). Its to carry out some work on a system during a light period where any outages may not be noticed too much. I'm working in London and have a Hotel booked as from checkin today until Friday for check out (though wont actually book in until about 18:00 this evening)

I was just wondering how others prepare for this sort of work? I mean, i've been at work yesterday (Tuesday) for normal hours 9 to 5, and now today (wednesday) i'm starting at 20:00, so i plan to stay awake for another hour or so, then sleep until about 11:00 then get train in to london and check into hotel and get soemthing to eat before starting work. Then sleep as much as possible during the day on thursday to work again thursday night, then home Friday and recover to start normal hours again on Tuesday (thank fek its a bank holiday weekend, extra day to recover).

So what do teh rest of you do when your goinf from days to nights just for a few nights work? Wasnt so bad when i did weeks of nights but just 2 is gonna be hard.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

My trick always used to be plenty of Red Bull and coffee. Currently up at this hour due to HDD failure on a server. I reckon I have another 3 hours of work before I can get some sleep then up again at 7am to commute to work. So I will be definitely going to the local supermarket to get some Red Bull in the morning.

I am only 21 so Red Bull does work OK for me, I suppose working nights also comes down to hold you are. Nights nearly killed my Dad but for me at the moment it ain't too bad!

Iklekid

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, CIW Associate & CIW Pro
    WIP: CIW E-commerce and 70-270
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Just be like me - suffer from insomnia your entire life and regularly go three, four days at a time with only about six hours' sleep...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well went to bed at 02:00 but kids woke me up at 6!!!!!!

So now i wont sleep until sometime tomorrow morning, i think the plan is we're finishing at about 5 then walk to hotel (bout hour) then hopefullt crash until about 17:00 to start again.

The 2 nights will probably be fine for me as i've done this sort of thing in the past. Its the following week i have problems with, when it all hits me.

And Red Bull dont work fer me, drink enough caffine each day that the extra hit wont be noticed!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Coffee is the answer, actually strong coffee is the answer! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Once you get used to doing crazy night shift hours you will suffer from insomnia for the rest of your days, coke (the drink) is the answer to get you through nightshifts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

it's about the meals too - a Huge breakfast (around your normal dinner time) is usually quite nice as it then means that your bodys eating pattern remains more or less in synch and you have the energy to get through the night.

When I worked nights, some colleagues used to do power naps - but I found they did more harm than good!

It's a bugger you are only doing two nights as it usually takes two to get used to it...so when your body is accustomed it is gonna have to swap over again - not fun (unless you plan a crazy night of clubbing or gaming the night after the shifts...then that is always fun!!)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I only did night shifts for project implementations (and of course the emergency fires :blink).
    If they were planned, I'd try to sleep in longer and eat meals with high energy near the end of the day. I have never been use to taking naps. If the sun is up, so am I. But power-naps during the night have worked for me.