NIC error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, May 17, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hi guys.

Im getting an intermittent fault with my NIC on this machine. Every few minutes, the connection will drop off for a short period of time, before coming back up and continuing.

I've tried to swap the cable, swap ports on the router, and another machine on the router is having no issues.

Occassionally im getting a General Error from the ping results.

I've also tried changing the speed and duplex setting on the NIC driver from Auto to 100Mbps Full Duplex, but the issue is still happening.

Does anyone have any ideas whats causing this? I havent installed anything new on the machine in the past few days, and it only started when i turned the machine on this afternoon.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you checked that its seated properly, thats if its not an integrated one. Is it ok in device manager? any errors in event viewer?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Fergal1982

Its an integrated NIC. Shows as ok on Device manager. no errors, and the driver is up to date.

I've just done a System Restore to yesterday, so ill give it a little while to see if this resolves the issue.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fergal,

Does everything else function OK? If so, i would disable the onboard ethernet port and pop a PCI one in and go from there.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Fergal1982

verrrrrry interesting!

Ran the system restore. Id forgotten i had installed some system updates yesterday, so when i did the restore it removed them. It then worked ok until i reinstalled the patches.

Once it restored again and left the patches off, i discovered that it was fine. been running a ping since 1900 until now. not a single lost packet.

very strange, bloody MS

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

were the patches from the update on Tuesday that M$ run? normally, its best to installed patches a few days later... ...or so i've found

7. Fergal1982

yeah. the windows defender update, and SP1 for Visual Studio for Vista (which seems to be the cause of the problem it seems)