Next Steps?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Bretty, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Bretty

Bretty New Member

Hi guys. I have been reading through your forum for a few hours today and I'm just looking for some info. After recently being made redundant from my job as a HGV mechanic I was thinking of going back into IT. I did Applied ICT at GCSE and have ICT AS qualifications (I dropped out of college after my first year as an Apprenticeship came us as a mechanic). Don't get me wrong I love mechanics but I also love computers.

From reading your site and speaking to a person from Advent who filled me with nonsense and wanted nearly 6 grand for the course I have decided to self study. I would be looking into going into tech and have just ordered 2 books that I have seen recommended on this forum, these are CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition and PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills.

Where do I go from here? Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for your time,

Bretty

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Read the books, take some practice exams and then go for it!

At the same time start getting in contact with anyone and everyone who might be able to help you get some IT experience, there are other threads on here which give some info on various voluntary organisations as well as the many job sites you can hit up and start looking for work.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Looks like you have the basics down, which is good. Glad you didn't pay through the nose to a training provider and are doing the study the more manly way :p

As has already been advised, read through the books and take the exam. It's pretty much as simple as that. If you have any problems with any of the content then ask someone on the forums. As you have previously studied I.T at various levels you shouldn't have much of problem.

Once A+ is out of the way you may want to consider N+ and MCDST (which is a combination of two exams, the 70-271 and the 70-272).

Read around a bit more on the forums. There are many-a-post with similar advice.

Top tip - use the search function :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

See what your local Adult Education College offer.
    One good route would be Cisco IT Essentials 1 plus A+ self study and you should be able to get A+
    Most courses are not more than £300 & most local Colleges will offer the above course.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. Bretty

Bretty New Member

Yea I am going to see about a course at my local college as you can also do the A+ exam there :)