1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next step on from A+ and N+

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ddan, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi Guys

Once you have attained both A+ and N+ what logically would be an ideal certification to take server + mcitp? just a little unsure I would appreiate it if someone could give me their opinion thanks in advance.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

What do you currently do as a job?

3. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi Thanks for your reply currently 1st line support.

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

What technologies do you use?

If you support Windows 7, then the 70-680 and 70-685 are a good combo. Both are eminently do-able with the books (I suggest Don Poulton's book for the 680) and setting up labs to practice.

5. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi Ade1982

Its software support but my ultimate aim is to support Windows. I want to learn server 2008/2012, AD, and generally learn more. have actually just finished watching CBT video tutorials for 70-680 Configuring, and I have just started 70-685. I plan to learn the following in order.

70-686
    70-640
    70-642
    70-646
    70-432
    70-450
    70-643
    70-647

what do you think?

6. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

What do you guys think of this plan?

7. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

Have you taken the 70-680 exam yet, or just gone throught the material? :huh

I believe MCITP is obsolete now so 70-643/647 can be disregarded. Unless you are already experienced in the server technologies and sitting the exams is just a formality to you, I would skip 70-640/42/46 and aim for the MCSA Server 2012 package instead if you are just starting out. Much the same with the SQL related exams you listed.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  8. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi thanks for your reply I have just gone through the material so far I have not actually taken the exam yet. What cert would you recommend for a beginner to AD?

9. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

From your opening post, I presume you are qualified in A+ and N+ and well versed in that material. You also mentioned you have experience in 1st line support of specific software applications.

If you feel you have also attained a good grounding in Windows desktop operating systems and peer-to-peer networking, your next priority should be sitting and passing the 70-680, before thinking too much further ahead.

I would say AD/GP certification is not really intended for complete beginners to a NOS environment. My personal recommendation is that you have around a year of actual exposure to it before attempting to study for the certification.

That said, up until now, Microsoft had the MCTS 70-640 Active Directory Configuration qualification (expires 31/1/14), which was conveniently the natural starting point certification for Server 2008. With the new revised MCSA 2008 and 2012 packages, there isn't a single exam award anymore, you'd have to pass the trio to get certified in that technology.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA