Next step advice please.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by natkay2603, Sep 17, 2008.

1. natkay2603

natkay2603 Bit Poster

Hi,
    I have decided to look for a new job. I will give you a brief description of my experience. The first 8 years of my working life, i worked in leisure and event management. So i have good customer service and people skills. I have been in my first IT job for just over a year.
    I work in a School with 2 indepenent networks, one for the students this is based on server 2k3 and xp machines, but uses software by RM.com, that sits over the OS to make it idiot proof. We have 1200 users and 300ish machines on this network. The second network is for teachers and Admin staff, 2k3 server with about 200 users and 200 machines (mixture of XP and vista). Both networks include desktop and laptops.
    My day to day jobs include,
    • Installing software
    • installing/repairing harware
    • AD work - user admin
    • e-mail and software issues
    • setting permissions
    • Wireless access point config/install
    • IP phone install and config
    • AV work
    • General duties - moving equipment, Replacing Keyboards, mice and monitors)
    • I also have responsibility for an IP camera server and maintenance/installation of cameras
    I am now looking for my next progression. I have a MCP (270) and RM network engineer cert. What do you think my next step should be/what sort of position? Should i be looking at 1st line, second line support? Should i look for field work? I am studying to eventually become a MCSE (doing 290 at mo).

I want to be in the best job i can to help me get to my eventual goal (MCSE).

Any help, tips or advice would be helpful.

:D

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sharpen up your CV and start applying for applicable roles.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda job interests you mate? With the experience you have you could probably aim for a 1st/2nd line job or perhaps a junior server admin position.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. natkay2603

natkay2603 Bit Poster

I think server admin is the way i want to head. What job site would you suggest i use totaljobs and purelyit.