Next exam: 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by The_Rocker, Jun 7, 2010.

1. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I am enroute to MCSA, from which I plan to continue onto MCSE and then use my knowledge from that as a foundation for the newer MCITP stuff.

My next hurdle is the 70-290, I have the Microsoft Official Acamdemic Course Textbook which I nicked off a colleague off mine who used to go to the Zenos IT academy. This is not the big thick self paced book.

I have been using server 2003 professionally for about 18 months and know my way around AD, DHCP, Group Policy editor etc bla bla bla....

At home using VMWare I am able to set up an active directory based network consisting of a few servers (File box, print box and the domain controller/DHCP/DNS box) and a couple of clients. I can create GPO's, assign them to OU's, groups etc.... Making roaming profiles bla bla...

Lets call it a 'good general overall know-how'.

Do you think the MS Press academic textbook and my existing knowledge & experimentation using VMWare will be enough for me to pass this exam with?

Another colleague of mine just passed it as well and said it was easier than the 70-270 for him and I am more than certain that I know and use Server 2003 a lot more than he does.

Oh P.S. I've heard CBT nuggets are pretty good?

Certifications: BND: ICT | MCDST | MCP
    WIP: MCSA | MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I believe that's against Microsoft's copyright terms. Unlike their self-paced books, their courseware cannot legally be given to another person.

That depends largely on you... I've seen people go into the exam blind with no studying and do well, and I've seen people go into the exam after spending months studying from multiple sources and fail.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

We'll see then :-)

I will use CBT nugget video's to brush up on my weakest area's after this week.

Certifications: BND: ICT | MCDST | MCP
    WIP: MCSA | MCSE