Next cert planner

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zimbo, Feb 4, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So back at uni.. finally finished MCSA - took me the best part of 1 1/2 years! But im chuffed! :biggrin

I dont want to get out the cert race yet... now that i got time cause of first year being so easy (i doubt 2nd will be! :( ) so im hoping between now and October to add to my resume.

I would like an opinion on some of my ideas.. good or bad.. i have a few things pulling me one way and another thing the other way so maybe someone with experience in the cert will help me straighten things out.

1. Security+ - been looking at this closely for the past few months - although the questions were updated in Dec its still the same exam edition SY0-001. Books for this one is a big problem! I got the Syngress book of ebay a while back for a fiver (hehehe) and im hoping to get the Sybex 3rd edition. I think this cert would be great for the knowledge plus it could lead to higher things in the Security side of things (since im considering Computer Forensics) and if one day i consider MCSE its an elective - so two birds with one stone.

2. MCP - SBS 2003 70-282. I think this cert would be good to do now since i just finished 291 and i got alot of the services still fresh.. I looks like a handy product to learn cause of the many small companies that could use this so maybe this cert would help with job hunting when the time comes? Also maybe it would help me learn Exchange and ISA as im sure they both coverd in the exam - and im pretty sure not too indepth so this cert has a few pluses. The thing is how much would i benefit from having this cert under my belt?

3. MCSA ---> MCSE... ok this is still a few exams to go (293,294, desgin and an elective (S+??)). Two things are putting me off this at the moment. I dont have enough experience - if i was to apply for jobs today i would be applying for 1st/2nd line - isnt MCSE WAY too qualified for these roles. Also what is the jump like from MCSA to MCSE? Another thing thats put me off the big jump is im actually drained from 291 to jump into MS again.. yes i learnt alot and yes i did finish with a BIG cert under my belt but i think i need to learn something different, fresh or new.. :biggrin

4. Wireless# and Network+ these are at the bottom of my list. Network+ you say is going backwards - well im looking at it as entry-level job cert - to maybe help me land a job. Considering the MCSA requires experience (!) the Network+ is often referred to as more entry-level and i doubt i would struggle with it - just that damm exam fee - so is it really worth doing or not? Wireless# is something totally different!! I reckon it would be the most fun cert to cause i would be doing it for the knowledge.

So there you have my ideas... any pro's or con's you want to add?

Cheers for the help guys!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that Security+, and/or Network+ would be a good option for you to go for.

It will show some variation on your CV, that you don't just know MS Certs and technologies, and will improve your knowledge in those areas. 8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks Simon... 8)

No other opinions? :(

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

MCSE, obviously many networks run on MS technology so this should maximise job oppurtunities. Dont worry about being over qualified, it only means when you land a job you will be more likely to jump to a 2nd or 3rd line support role.

Also the staff turnover in 1st line support is fairly high anyways 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sparks what you mean staff turnover?

6. Sparky

Generally peeps in 1st line support move on after a year or so. Hopefully onto 2nd line or a role similar to that. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok lets say i go for MCSE - whats wrong with S+ next - it is *my* elective? :D

8. Sparky

Yeah, sounds good, didnt realise you could use the S+ as a MCSE elective. 8)

9. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I hear what you're saying Zimbo. It's been a long road 'til now and you're also doing a degree at the same time. You have my deepest respect. I'd say, tactically, that Security+ would be the way to go - MCSE is your obvious next target and it's an elective as you say.

However...have you studied the Network+ stuff and can't justify the exam fee, or have you not looked at it at all? I really enjoyed the Net+ stuff, and the exam (weirdo?) and it helps me no end in the real day to day support that I do. If you've studied it and don't want to pay out then I see your logic.

Have you thought about psychotropic substances and having a lie down for a bit? Flower arranging? Origami? :rolleyes:

You might just burst you know son...:biggrin

Regards,

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

@Sparky - AHHH!! :biggrin I thought you knew!! So you with S+?

@Juice - i looked at the N+ and its not hard at all. Went through the book and there is stuff im familiar with and stuff im not familiar with. Im studying Computer Networks so i have/will cover most of the material. Its just a matter of maybe giving the guide a read to get the exam topics down then forking out the fee.. Right now i can cope studying a cert whilst im doing uni work cause i have done all the stuff at college in cyprus.

TBH i think its pointless doing Network+ im going to end up with a degree in computer networks - IMO more valueable than a cert (which i hold in high regard) with a £100 fee. If i had not done MCSA or started my degree this would be my next choice 100% but i just dont see its value to me in the long run. Anyone agree/disagree?

11. Sparky

Yup, I’ll second the call for the S+ :thumbleft

Some of the N+ material is useful for the 70-291 (e.g. subnetting) but as you have already passed that MCP it probably isn’t worth doing the cert. Don’t get me wrong I’m not dismissing the N+ but you have better options just now.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree, you have passed the point where Net+ would be of much benefit. I would go for Security+ if I were you and I were seriously considering getting into computer forensics.

Also, I think MCSA is a fine qualification for somebody that is wanting to get into and progress in the IT industry. What this cert is saying about you is that you know enough to be able to administrate a Microsoft networking system, which I am sure you could. So the cert matches your current abilities. If you truly believe that you would be able to design a complex network infrastructure from the ground up using Microsoft products after a couple more exams and a few home labs, then you are kidding yourself. The MCSE is something which you can pursue once you have more real world experience, then it would mean something tangible to perspective employers.

Just my 2 cents :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thats how i feel i dont have enough experience. When i started out MCSA i had heard of DNS and DHCP for example but didnt know much.. where as looking at some topics on 293,294:

Create and configure Application Data Partitions
    Manage schema modifications

There is just too much new things in those 3 exams and i got no working knowledge of the... in other words i feel i would become a "paper MCSE" - besides the work i done in my lab..

Edit ---> typo should have been MCSA

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool, you have your head well and truly screwed on my friend! There will be plenty of time for the MCSE once you have consolidated your MCSA etc with real world experience.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks pete! :biggrin

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend Net+. Remember that certifications aren't to give you more knowledge... they're to get your CV noticed so you can get your entry-level job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I must disagree mate, whilst a cert doesnt make you an expert, if it doesnt improve your knowledge it seems pretty pointless, Certifications can be great reasons to gain knowledge (in order to get the certification) and whilst not exhaustive (I guarantee you there are some certs that are most definatly exhaustive, even surpassing that of real world experiance) they all add to our knowledge pool and its THAT that helps us get our first/next job/payrise

its not just about experience
    its not just about certs
    its not just about soft skills

add all to blender and press 3 for 5 - 10 years!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks for all the input guys! :biggrin

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I should say "just", then.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well gee mike, that one little word made my entire point redundant :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0