Newmember & CCNA routers

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by techsea, Sep 17, 2004.

1. techsea

techsea New Member

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum and need some advice for buying routers to pratice with for the CCNA exam.

Can someone please tell me how many and which particular routers would be the best to buy?

I see so many deals on Ebay, routers and labs, but not sure which ones to buy in order to pratice.

There are many 2500 series but not sure which particular model would be best? (2501, 2520, 2514, etc)

Or should I pay extra and go for the 2600 series??

Excellent forum and have really enjoyed the discussions and advice from everyone.

Many thanks!

Certifications: A+, Network +
    WIP: CWNA, CCNA
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Welcome mate
    your best bet is to learn the various models and what there base configurations are, this was a part of my exam anyway, although dont ask me what a 2501 has over a 2503 these days :) (think one has serial and ethernet, 3 has serial and token ring, could be wrong tho)

what you want to look at is the configuration, not the number
    you want atleast 2 routers with serial ports, and ethernet ports
    those are going to be your main test beds, token rings depreciated, and isdn is no good for a home lab unless you have a line simulator

you will also need a switch
    any 19 series or 29 series is fine
    dont worry about it, just check the IOS versions, 11 or 12 should be what you are being tested on.

Welcome to the boards mate
    :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi techsea, and welcome to Certforums :D Good to see you've "joined with a bang"

Hopefully, we'll be able to answer all your questions - you can hopefully even provide answers for some of ours too :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A warm welcome to CertForums techsea, glad you could join us.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

welcome aboard techsea...enjoy your stay...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi techsea, welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi there and a big CF welcome from me :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. techsea

techsea New Member

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Cheers Phoenix for the info on the routers & switches. I will do some more research and keep watching ebay for a purchase.:)

Look forward to talking with everyone in the forums.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forums mate. When you have a little time tell us a bit about yourself. What do you plan to study, what do you have so far etc.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. techsea

techsea New Member

I have completed the a + and network + so far and would like to go for the CCNA and CWNA. I'm not sure really which one to go for next.....????
    I work as a network administrator/communications officer onboard a cruiseship. And have the sole :ohmy responsiblity of looking after the entire network and voice/satellite communications for the vessel. The network consists of about 80 workstations, 9 servers (running W2K, Exchange 5.5, Unix, Fidelio), and seperate wireless network. It can get really hectic sometimes and there's never a dull moment, but overall it's a really enjoyable job.
    I'm not sure which cert to go for next...I work alot with the wireless and would like to have the CWNA since I could probably put it to pratice. But I also would like the CCNA and think they it might be a better cert in respect to future employment. Does anyone have any suggestions? With my current job I don't really deal with the routers so I don't know if the cert would be used at the moment. :dry

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds like a very cool job you have there. Not only do you get to do what you like with networks and such, but you also get to sail around and see a lot of other places too. I look out my window every day and see the same building opposite me wheras you look out your porthole and see something different almost every day. I'm jealous. Any jobs going??:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I dont think I could stomach the sea myself :sick . I'm more of a land lover.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...