Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by xcase, Dec 27, 2005.

1. xcase

xcase Bit Poster

hi everyone,

new to this, I been thinking for months: whether i should do mcse. Now what is the most basic route for MCP, how many exams does this involve...i have very basic skills in i.t

i would of course like to have mcse at the end.. :)

i think im confused with 2000 & server 2003

WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, if you pass *any* single Microsoft certification exam, you immediately become an MCP. On the other hand, to become an MCSE, you have to pass seven (I think) exams. It really helps if somewhere in your study process, you start getting experience on some sort of Microsoft network. The MCSE isn't something you can get without getting your hands dirty.

2000 and 2003 are different product lines and thus different MCSE certification paths. If you are just starting out, I'd suggest that you take the 2003 cert path. At some point, MS is going to start retiring 2000 products and certs (think Windows NT) so the 2003 track will give you more mileage.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. xcase

xcase Bit Poster

thanx m8,

very helpful

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

First of all i didnt get a chance to say hi, so HI!! :biggrin

Now like trip said the MCP is passing a single(!) microsoft exam.. and i think 2003 server would also be a good path..

You say your IT skills are 'basic' would this mean you know how to setup a basic home network lets say? If your knowledge of hardware,operating systems and in particular networks is very basic you might want to start a little lower in the cert ladder with A+ and Network+ first?

The MCSE is a killer straight from 70-270 (Windows XP) -BECAUSE XP is not just a desktop! :twisted: so having the A+ and N+ knowledge would help you greatly!

If you want more info on these : Comptia - If you feel you know the topics covered in these three exams then i think next up should be your XP exam then! :biggrin

Good Luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. xcase

xcase Bit Poster

@ Zimbo

Thanks m8

would you say N+ is the place to start leading towards MCSE, I mean A+ i know i can do well :dry , But my main interest is networks..

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How do you know that you can do the A+ well? Have you passed it? I've been in IT for a good while now and I have to admit that without some serious studying I think that I'd struggle on the A+.

You may find that it is harder than you think! :blink

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have decided to do the A+ and N+ before undertaking then MCSE even though I’ve been working in IT for a few years and have an MSc. Why? Because I don’t know everything and I think they offer a good foundation of knowledge before starting the MCSE.

Furthermore I wouldn’t dismiss the A+ just because you are interested in networking. In any entry level IT support job you will most likely have to support end users therefore knowledge of various operating systems and hardware is essential.

Also far too many people in my opinion claim to be ‘good with computers’ because they know how to boot from a CD and reinstall an O\S when something minor goes wrong. The A+ cert will give you more trouble shooting skills rather than restoring a PC to ‘factory default’ to fix a problem.

If you think the A+ is a formality for you I would advise you to take the exam and then go onto the N+, MCSE route. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. xcase

xcase Bit Poster

ok guys,

You got me thinking now

Defo going to do Comptia first... Now any suggestion which books i can get? bearing in mind i live in the UK,

Mike Meyers all in one?

Sorry guys did'nt mean to be to forward (A+), But your right!

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, the ‘All in one’ book is a great read and will give you plenty of knowledge for the exam. Also you can get some free .pdfs from www.cramsession.com which are good for some final revision before the exam.

You might also want to consider getting an old PC so you can practise some of chapters of the book. Having a lab PC is handy for installing components and also installing an O\S from scratch.

One other thing I did was to install virtual PC (on my main PC) so I could run any of the Microsoft operating systems when I was revising. I hadn’t used Windows NT for a while so running it as a virtual PC was good for revision.

I managed to get a Pentium 2 spec PC and a packaged version of Windows 95 and Windows NT for the grand total of £14 from EBay! The PC is still useful even though I’ve passed the A+ as I’ve added it to my home network for future use when I’m revising for other certs. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have been mucking around with computers and networks for yonks now. I have also done the seven MCP exams to attain MCSE. I was advised that I didn't need the A+ or N+ and so I jumped straight into MCSE. I had been a network admin for seven years prior to that though. Now, in retrospect, I wish I had done the A+ and N+ because they are a really good foundation for any other IT related courses you may do in the future.

I would not sit the A+ without some serious study. No IT exam is a walk in the park and the A+ albeit an entry level exam is still tough.

Do your research, check out the posts on this site before you make any long term decisions.

The MCSE is a long haul thing, it took me three years and that is not unusual. The six months time scale I see banded about by training providers is both unrealistic and misleading to newbies.

There is much work ahead for you if you intend to pursue this path. Be prepared for a lot of self study.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  12. xcase

xcase Bit Poster

Just to let you know im getting my book today, 'All in One' and i shalt keep my head down till i finish the book :biggrin
    So lots of researching to do & prepareing to do! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the info