Discussion in 'A+' started by poolboy79, Feb 15, 2008.

1. poolboy79

poolboy79 New Member

Hi All,

I havn't been on the forum for a while as only just started to self study for A+ exam (getting married and buying a new house have sort of been a priority).

Using the Mike Meyers book, and finding it really interesting to read (admitadly only read a few chapters). I was wondering if people have found that this book is enought to get them through the exams, or would people recommend another title as a support?

Cheers

Neil

WIP: Thinking about MCSA
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi,

That book was enough for me if you learn and understand everything in it you should be OK.

Certifications: A few.
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That book is really good but if you have a computer you can practice on then I would reccomend getting PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles (Tripwire45 on CF) its a book with exercises in it so you can practice your new found tech skills and brush up on your old ones.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I’ve heard (and read :)) that the Mike Myers and James Pyles A+ books are good. You should be fine with what you have – so long as it’s understood. Otherwise add something to supplement the learning (like Trip’s book).

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Keep in mind that the PC Technician Street Smarts book (and the Street Smarts series in general) is designed to offer "a year in the life" of a PC tech. It contains a large number of "typical" PC desktop support labs created to give the reader hands-on experience on exactly the type of tasks they will encounter in the real world. I based the book on three months worth of trouble tickets I responded to when I was fulfilling this role for a small city IT department, so I can assure you these tasks are "real-to-life".

That said, if you already have sufficient hands on experience in PC and Desktop support, some of the labs may seem too elementary for you. My website still has a PDF available for download with about a quarter of the book's labs included so you can decide for yourself if the whole book is your "cup of tea".

Cheers. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...without all the messy teabagging. :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't you start...:dry

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're the one who brought up cups of tea again, Mr. FunBags! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!