Newbie with a few questions...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by scater1983, Apr 17, 2007.

1. scater1983

scater1983 New Member

Hi all, i'm currently looking at taking the exams for the MCDST qualification. However i have a few questions i'd like you well educated people on here to answer if at all possible, thanks!

1. I understand there isn't a "set" number of questions, but the marks are on a "points" basis. if for example a question requires 8 items moving from the right column to the relvant headings on the left, and only 7 are answered correctly, do you recieve marks for each "correct" answer or are you penalised for the 1 incorrect answer and lose all of the points available for that question?

2. i currently have access to both the transcender testing programme and the measure up assessment supplied with the exam cram books. obviously the questions are very similar but i have found the measure up ones to be less forgiving, for example on a multi choice question with 4 answers, the transcender in general will give 2 "silly" answers and 2 that could be correct, where as the measure up ones will generally give 4 possible correct answers but the best one needs to be picked based on the given scenario. in short, the transcender appears "easier" alot of the time. given your experience, which would you consider the most accurate regarding the official exam?

3. are you allowed to make notes in the exam? i find it easier to draw a diagram with ntfs permissions etc to help answer the questions. obviously i'm not asking if i can walk in with mi books but can you use a bit of scrap paper etc?

thats about it for now i think, congrats to everyone who has already passed, i hope i can join "the gang" soon.

thanks for any help you guys can provide, its greatly appreciated :)

WIP: MOS, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE
  2. karl_lankford

karl_lankford Byte Poster

3. yes you can take notesin the exam, but you have to hand them in when you are done

2. dont live by the exam cram books, they are shite hot, but they do miss the odd couple of things.

1. pass!

Certifications: CISSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE Upgrade
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

1. Microsoft is not clear on this point. They say on their website that partial scoring is possible, they do not say that it is allways thrue. Penalties for incorrect choices is also possible, but you can not score negative on a question.
    The bottum line is: no-one knows.

2. Test exams are a good way to find out what you still need to master. When you use test exams (Transcender, MeasureUp, Boson, Redmond) be sure to read the explanation, even if you had the correct answer. It might well be that the answer is correct for a different reason then yours.

3. You will get scrappaper from the exam centre. You are not allowed to take anything into the examroom unless provided by the examcentre. If you need a dictionary, you may ask one at the examcentre.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice already provided above. Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi,

welcome to the forum.

as tinus has pointed out, the scoring method is really unknown to the candidate.

when you refer to the "two silly" answers in transcender, this could be because you know your stuff! Usually, there is a twist though; the two remaining could be correct, but one is the "ms" way!

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome and best wishes in your endeavors:D .

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. scater1983

scater1983 New Member

thanks very much for all your input! i've got a much better idea of what i'm "in for" now hehe. thanks for the words of encouragement :biggrin

WIP: MOS, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE