Newbie to this world! Help Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by devoo, Aug 17, 2004.

1. devoo

devoo New Member

Hi guys been checking out this forum for a while now while ive been starting my certification, i'm just about to take my Network+ after doing A+ few weeks ago.

What I wanted to know is if anybody can give me some advice as to how to get my foot in the door job wise? Does anybody know of any agencies where i can give them my CV and they can find me contract jobs for the moment, or anything like that? I dont really mind what i do too much even if the job is just for one day, i need the experience to build up my CV as i have none in the commercial world at the moment!
    I live near london so any advice from people who have been in the same boat as me would be much appreciated!
    Thanks for you help
    Dev

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: MCSA W2K
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm relatively unqualified to respond to you since I don't live in the UK, but I did a quick Google search on IT recruiters in the UK and came up with this list. I don't know how well it will match your needs but it's a start. Also, I believe you have a government employment agency that can probably steer you in the right direction.

Outside of that, my experience is quite similiar...except I'm in the US. I was in school studying for my degree in Computer Network Support and had no experience. I put my CV on a few sites such as Monster, Dice, and CareerBuilder and finally got a call from a recruiting agency that needed a tech to do some basic unpacking and installing of PCs for a one day job. The calls came in slow (I had a "day job" I was relying on to pay the bills while going to school) but began to pick up. Long story, short, eventually, I quit my non-IT day job and pursued a series of temp jobs that eventually led to the full-time job I have now.

It's doable to say the least but I can only imagine that the competition in and around London must be incredibly intense. Most of the people on the forum are more qualified than I to answer your queries since they are more local to you than I am.

BTW, welcome to CertForums. If you get a chance, please take the time to pop up to the New Members forum and let us know a little bit about yourself. Glad you've joined us.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jonesos

Jonesos Bit Poster

Devoo,
    Welcome to the forums. When I first started out I just applied for a lot of low-level jobs to try and get my foot in the door and prove myself. Once you get the foot in door you just learn, learn and learn and work hard and hopefully the company should recognise this and reward you. If not, then move on after a year or so and go for that second higher paying job (as you now have more experience and problems solving skills and maybe more certifications). So you look like you have the right idea.
    As for agenices....maybe look at reed, jobserve (a very good site for it jobs), mycareer etc.

Mike

Certifications: MCSE(2K3, 2K),MCSA(2K3, 2K),MCP(NT4)
    WIP: MSc, CCNA, SCNA
  4. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

Welcome to the forum Dev.
    I agree with all the above and cant recommend Jobserve enough. I've got all my contracts\permanent jobs through them and there are quite a few 'starting out' junior level contracts where people are needed to do roll out builds and such.

Good luck with the job hunting

J

Certifications: CCNA MCP XP,SVR NT4 WKS, SRV ITIL, ACA
    WIP: MCSA 2003 Security
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Totally agree with Jonesos. Set you standards low as thats the only type of job you will get without commercial experience. Don't be put off having to take a job for £10,000 or less. Your first year is the most important. Use it to build up experience and do as many certs as possible as you have to balance your lack of commercial experience with qualifications. Even in todays market most good jobs require 2 years experience and an MCSE.

As for getting your foot in the door I would recommend IT jobs board (a lot of my collegues use it) www.theitjobboard.co.uk. I would also recommend that you ring up all your local job agencies and state that your willing to take any jobs to build up experience these could lead to permenant jobs if the companies see your eager and know your stuff.

Good luck with your job hunt and stick at your certs....:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. devoo

devoo New Member

thanks a lot for the advice guys, harder than it looks tho, trying to find a company willing to take you on. Been searching thru all the sites, jobserve, jobsearch, itjobboard, etc, but nothing yet, maybe my CV isnt up to scratch.

Thanks anyway ill keep you posted, got my Network+ exam tomorrow so concentrating on that at the moment :ohmy
    Dev

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Good luck Dev...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck for tomorrow mate.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Echo that, good luck, nail that sucker!!! :biggrin :gun :thumbleft

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good luck, Devoo :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

you can nail that sucker Devoo, best of luck :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. devoo

devoo New Member

Cheers guys, well im pleased to say that i passed witha score of 700 on the dot! Also, another stroke of luck, a friend of mine managed to get me a helpdesk/support job at Volvo UK, contracting for the company he works for, i think theyr called WCI group?
    So its all goin well at the moment, just hope theyll let me have time off to complete my MCSA!
    Dev

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well done mate...glad to hear you passed... Lets get the drinks out boys...:alc :alc2 :beers2 :cheers and well done on the job too mate..:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  14. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Well done on the pass :biggrin :thumbleft

And good luck with the new job :) Sounds like your havin a really good week, a few beers on the menu for tonight perhaps??? lol

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A pass *and* a new job. Way to go, guy! You da man! Congratulations! :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Big congrats Devoo certainly time for a :alc today!!Again well done :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong