Newbie to Microsoft Certification

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by gaco80, Mar 3, 2011.

1. gaco80

gaco80 New Member

hi,
    i am new to the Microsoft Certification range and am looking for some advice.I am currently doing CCNA, have just completed part 1 and am studing for part 2, and want to add Microsoft to my qualifications and have discovered that there are so many different exams and certifications.I want to get into high end networking and would like some advice on which of the Microsoft Certs to go for.Any advice would be greatly apperciated!!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Depends on your experience mate. If you have no experience then the CCNA and any other high level cert wont help you get into high end networking. Thats because those types of jobs require experience regardless of how qualified you are.

Having high level certs without the experience to go with them can do you more harm than good.

What experience do you have?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. gaco80

gaco80 New Member

unfortunatley i have no experience in high end networking, or low end proper networking... only the installation of Thinnet and Thicknet with the local cable tv/internet company.. but want to get into a proper networking company, i have friends who work for xerox in ireland but are always very sketchy/cagey when i talk them about getting in there.Me bro has a few qualifications for cisco and microsoft but says the same thing u said about experience and is currently working for voip software company.have set up lans in house`s i shared with others so we could all share files but this is only basic and don`t stand up on a CV.I am determined to get into this professon and will succeed somehow!thanks for ur help

4. gaco80

gaco80 New Member

i have access to two cisco switch`es and one router... was thinking of the server mangement cert by microsoft???

5. greenbrucelee

no that will not help you.

To get into networking you usually have to progress either from a support role where you have had some exposure to networking or one that you can get exposure to networking or you work as an IT technician where you do a bit of everything.

You could have all the certs and qualifications in the world but without any experience no network manager will hire you.

You wont like this but you need to start at the bottom and work your way into networking. There are certifications for begginners and certifications for people who have experience and the CCNA and any MS cert like server certs are for people who have experience and by experience I mean in a job not in a home lab.

Begginner certs are: compTIA A+, compTIA Network+, Microsofts MCDST and MCITP windows Vista and Windows 7

6. gaco80

gaco80 New Member

i really appreciate the advice and will continue my quest because i have faith in meself and life and will keep on the path... something will turn up, always does!

7. greenbrucelee

Start at the bottom and if you prove yourself you will progress.