Newbie - SuSe 9.0 pro

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Fergal1982, May 6, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

hey guys. i got SuSe 9.0 pro installed on my system here as a dual boot with windows - now the intention was to learn how to use it pretty much as well as i can work windows - maybe even make the switch (games tho, is a problem, grrrrr).

the trouble is, beyond the very VERY basics, i dont have a clue about linux. anyone help me out here?

also, im having a problem with the graphics of some programs - eg frozen bubble and beneath a steel sky (lol). when they load in fullscreen, as they inevitably do - the image is too big for my screen. yet under the resolution (1024x768) the desktop appears fine, furthermore, thats the setting i use for windows - any ideas?

Thanks Guys
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I've also got SuSe 9.0 Pro so I'll look into it at home.

Have you tried changing the settings for each of the games?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Fergal1982

the games came with the program - not very high tech - for frozen bubble, theres fullscreen or not fullscreen - thats it. its driving me nuts!

argh

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If what you're looking for is a beginners guide to SuSe Linux, you could try this.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Fergal1982

its certainly a possibility trip - but id rather wait till a book came out specifically on suse 9.0. think i might be waiting a while tho, lol. good idea tho!

Fergal

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I looked and couldn't find one that specific. Not that it won't come out eventually. Of course, you could get some more generic Linux books, teach yourself the OS and various details and then write the thing yourself. :)

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Trips right, most Linux distros are pretty similar/the same when it comes to config/management
    especially being most use the same packages, its only the custom features likely to differ
    sounds like you have a problem with your X config, id try read up on that, and look in ur suse X manager to see if you can highlight any form of problem

I personally havnt used Suse since 8.0 Pro, waiting for 10 to come out before i buy a new copy
    im sure its not that different to 8.0, still uses the 2.4 Kernal afaik

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Fergal, how do you have SuSe9.0? When I bought mine it came with a user and administrator manual.

You probably have also been to the SuSe site.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Fergal1982

yeah i got a copy of the manuals. but i tend to find their not that great for learning. the user is very simplistic - using the GUI and basic programs, and the admin guide i thought was a bit too technical, not what im looking for - theres a huge gap between the two. im looking for more than just using the GUI and programs, but not nec admin lvl stuff. things like the CLI (top, kill, that kinda stuff)

Fergal

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Fergal, if you are not familiar with the general ins and outs of Linux (the generic OS), I would still recommend you get a generic Linux "how to" text and start there. It won't matter a whole lot if you're running SuSe, Red Hat, Mandrake, or any other distro. It's great way to get your feet wet.