Newbie, needs help

Discussion in 'Software' started by sparkey77, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

This is because the default keyboard layout has been set to United States.

To change it:-

Go to Start -> Control Panel
    Regional and Language Settings

Then change all of the United States (English) to United Kingdom (English).

Apply the settings and you should notice the keys are back in their rightful places :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ha ha beat you :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Qs

It's not a race! *sigh*

And anyway, if it was, giddy beat you :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lol :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Heh heh... I did but I am too mature to admit it... 8)

6. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

Thankyou all, a real obvious question from the race to answer.:D

Certifications: MCDST & Network +
    WIP: MCSA
  7. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I actually beat you all because i thought of the install process from beginning to end including the language and keyboard options when i saw the first post. :p

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  8. sparkey77

sparkey77 Bit Poster

Hello again, I didn't start a new thread because I thought this was related (sort of). I've also got a 12 month old laptop running vista, which I'd like to do the same as the pc (reinstall windows) as it's running like a dog. First problem no recovery disc's but I'm sure it never came with them. So went through manual it said to create your own recovery disc's, but apparently you cannot use these to reinstall the operating sytem only repair, is that correct if so what do i do?
    Cheers

Certifications: MCDST & Network +
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Qs

Firstly - Vista is a resource hog.

Second - Laptops generally don't play nicely with Vista for this reason - more specifically, if you're interested, due to most laptops being limited to on-board (and therefore quite poor) graphics chips. Have you ever asked yourself why people prefer XP on netbooks/laptops?

If it were me I'd try and clean up the laptop at the moment, especially if you don't have an installation disc. Some companies such as HP provide pre-installed software on their computers which are meant to be used to create a set of 'recovery discs'. These discs are used in the event that your system goes sideways you can restore from said discs. The problem with this process if that you're limited to what you can do. You can't for instance reformat your PC and customize an installation of Vista. You'll only be able to go back to the state of your system as saved on the discs.

Easiest way to make your laptop work harder, better, faster, stronger *does a little dance* is to not use the Aero theme, defragment your system, use disc cleanup and many other useful utilities that come with Windows. After that - there are some third party programs that are pretty nifty (such as CCleaner - www.ccleaner.com and Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html)

You should notice a drastic improvement in your vista experience.

If you have any specific questions then send me a PM.

Qs