Newbie looking for help.,

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by calitriuk, Oct 14, 2007.

1. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

Hi Im new to the forum and im just after some advice on training, I am in the fitness industry and i hate it been in it to long i have just turned 30 and think its about time i look at getting into something i enjoy, I have used computers for nearly 10 years now and I am quite knowlegable, A friend of mine is in the industry he is a security guru, so i am thinking of taking my ccna he seems to think I could pass it, I have been doing some home study to see what it involes,
    Also I applied for a trainee position with an IT recriutment company for a Microsoft Pro, they gave me a phone interview and are ringing back next week, you study with them for around 5 months online with tutors etc, they pay half towards you training fees and you also do about 3/4 projects before they start putting you up for jobs there is a job at the end of the training, they put you on projects so you have the exper needed to get a position, so after that long winded post what do you think would be better ccna with no other skills and no commercial exper or the IT company that will get you a job

thanks

WIP: mcdst
  2. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

ok well i had the interview today and I dnt like the feeling about doing the exam with this paticular company, I have decided im going to do my ccna and work up to the security areas obviously this will take a long time so im going to do my ccna first, is there any other quals that i should get to help me get into the insustry i keep readin about A+ and N+ what are these exams ? and do you think if my maths isnt that good i should maybe sit my maths exams again maybe a level

thanks

3. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

i have had this answered now in another area on the forum,

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry about the lack of responses, calitriuk. So what was the answer?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

hey no problem, well im going to do my A+ my N+ then CCNA beginner and then main and then work up through cisco, I was going to go straight for ccna but it would be good to get into the indusrty first maybe in help desk roles etc, Just looking for a test centre close to North West Uk cant seemt o find one and does any one have an idea how long you should study for the A+

thanks

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Until you understand the concepts completely. Could be one day... could be one week... could be one month... could be one year. There are too many factors to consider for anyone to tell you how long YOU should take to study the A+... your ability to retain and recall information, your previous experience with computers, your other commitments, etc. It would do you no good to compare anyone else's study experiences with what you should expect for your own studies. Just study the material until you understand it all. Take practice exams (legit ones) to see if you're ready. Easy as that! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Michael. How long it will take depends on a variety of factors including current skill sets, aptitude, how you learn, how you choose to study, and so forth. What sort of resources were you considering as far as studying for the A+?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

well i learn better through the vidoes, so im going to by a study set for the A+ they are no to bad a price, im going to give myself maybe 3 hours a day to study,

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

HAve a look at this thread I did yesterday, maybe it will help you http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20162

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

ye i read it m8 thanks

11. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

A+ should take around 160 hours of revision - well thats what target Advent set.

Certifications: A+, N+
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So are you saying that I should have taken 160 hours to study A+? Or someone who has never touched a computer before should take only 160 hours to study A+?

Specifiying a "generic" revision target is potentially harmful for several reasons:
    - If someone studies quicker than that, they might start thinking, "Hey, this is supposed to take me 160 hours... perhaps I haven't studied enough?" When in reality, they could probably just pass the exam and continue on to something new.
    - If someone studies slower than that, they might start thinking, "Hey, this is supposed to only take me 160 hours. I've already studied that long, so maybe I'm ready for the exam", when in reality, they needed to study more, and so they could end up failing by trying to rush themselves. Or worse yet, they might start thinking, "Hey, this is supposed to only take me 160 hours.... perhaps I'm not cut out for IT...", thereby derailing someone's career... when all they needed to do was study more.

Advent doesn't know you. Thus, there's no way they can know that YOU should take 160 hours. That might be how long their course is... but that doesn't mean that's how long YOU should take to study it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. greenbrucelee

As has been said Advent don't know you, neither do we.

It could take you 5 hours it could 5 years it all depends on how you take in the info and how you can use what you have learned.

People learn at different paces thats why self study is good, you can take your time or not.

What happens if you go past the 160 hour mark set by advent?

14. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Sorry i wasnt specific...

An average time scale set by them in 160 hours. But of course it all depends on each individual.

Certifications: A+, N+
  15. calitriuk

calitriuk Bit Poster

ill just keep revising until i know it all, im fairly good with computers so im not a complete newb, do i need to buy a spare cmputer

16. greenbrucelee

it would be a good idea but isnt totally needed, but if you are a noob then I would.

I got one for 50 quid yo dont need a good one as chances are you will knacker it or come close to it.