Newbie in IT cert business

Discussion in 'A+' started by trybar, Feb 11, 2008.

1. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Hi.

I'm newbie in area of getting any IT certificate, so please be gentle..

I was working with PC's from early 286's, I remember times of ISA graphic card (I'm so old !!), never in IT dept., but always somewhere close to comp hardware, familiarity rather in general, technological parameters as procesor sockets never interested me, you know - family guy to replace parts and reinstall Windows.. and I'm not affraid of recognizing hardware, buses or extansion card, or to install them onto PC... (but sockets, chipset, bus parameters are not known)..

How much do I have to learn to proceed with A+/N+ cert..? I've seen lots of computers thru those years, and from visual/hands-on side I'm not affraid, but parameters knowledge - how important it is on exam..?

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome to CF :)

It sounds like you have knowledge that will definately help you when studying A+, so you should find it a case of filling in the gaps and drilling down that knowledge in order to pass the two required exams. Grab a copy of Mike Meyers A+ All In One - Sixth Edition and have a read through, you'll know where you stand yourself after that. Its a brilliant book for the A+.

As far as N+ goes, you haven't mentioned anything that I'd suggest will help you. Do you have any experience with networks or networked computers?

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Network is something I've never went into - no aproval from IT dept in my previous job (75000 ppl, separate IT dept) - basic understanding, can setup network connection on PC using different media (wireless, cable, ADSL via LAN or USB), but not much more.. I'm affraid.

Is it good idea of spending absolutely all my money for 7 day training for A+/N+ with that knowledge..? I dont think so.. ;-/

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

It's depends on what you know and how that fits in with what Comptia requires.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree 100%. Even if you had no experience I wouldn't pay for a 7 day course for A+/N+. Grab a couple of books and read them, you will find the majority of the people here at CF have self studied for the exams, and saved a bundle in doing so!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Sounds like you've got a decent knowledge for the A+, not sure if you have enough for the N+ as said just get the books no need for a course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

I went thru test questions on CompTIA webpage, and in A+ and N+ test I scored only 1 bad answer on each test, 1 from lack of knowledge, second from lack in my english ;)

But the questions were (without disrespect) easy, i think...

I fell more and more comfortable, and in a few days I will register for a A+ exam in London ... it cannot be difficult :)

EDIT:
    "Grab a couple of books and read" you say.. yeah, but english isn't my native, and reading is so slow.. ;P only 20-30 pages per hour..

8. greenbrucelee

good luck :)

9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

What I would suggest is getting the topics list from the CompTIA site and double check you know all the details. If your confident then go for it but personally I'd still read through a book before shelling out over £100 quid without fully being confident that I'd pass!

10. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Yeah, sure, already reading one book...

I went to closest exam centre, and was informed, that I can complete the exam straight away, well - in a half an hour.. Is that even possible ?

Secondly - do you have know websites offering tests of knowledge that I can undertake before cert exam, just to asure myself I'm ready?

And last - A+ cert is made by passing two exams - Essentials and one from three other - can I take both exams in one day, and what about costs - 111pounds for one (222 total) or 111 for whole cert..?

BTW: please, please, please DO correct me when I write something wrong.. I'm writing straight from my mind, and any help in that area will be appreciated..

11. greenbrucelee

normally websites offering free tests are crap and are braindumps, the only legit one I know off is proprofs.com although some of the questions on there are from the older A+ objectives but its still usefull to be able to answer those question correctly.

If you reading is slow because English isn't your native language you could always try the DVD learning from learnsmart you'll find a link to that resource on preplogic.com

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say that you would have problems doing either of the exams in half an hour unless your knowledge is *very* good.

In addition, the questions are worded deliberately to confuse, so if English isn't your native language you would need to take extra care.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

No, no, no - not a whole test in half an hour - "I can start the test after waiting half an hour" .. that was what i ment..

I took the test on www.proprofs.com site - 171 correct on 215 asked... 80 % :) took me about 68 minuts even with my slow inet connection...

Tomorrow I will check my Technician chances :)

EDIT:
    Found time today - not good - 697/900, 55 good of total 71 questions, which gives me 77,5% - althrough 76% is passing walue, its to low for taking it without reading a book..

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Looking good, Trybar! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

You're on the right path and look pretty good.
    With some preparation, you should be fine.