Newbie Here!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by buzbo, May 14, 2008.

1. buzbo

buzbo New Member

Hi all thought I would make a post and introduce myself.

I'm 21 and would like to switch my career into IT.

I am currently working in the motor industry which I kinda fell into and want out.

I have always been around computers since a young age and now I want to do something about it but not really sure where to start.

I don't have any qualifications other than GCSE of which I passed fine. I dont want to go to university however but will welcome studying be at home or class's.

I really am interested in networking and want to learn more about it and move into a career where I can progress.

Can anyone really give me some information of how I can try and progress?

Thanks

Chris

WIP: A+
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum...

You said you're willing to study at home -great! Because most will encourage going with a self-study option. Pick up a book on A+ and start with that.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

With the IT industry harly any people start of in the job they want, in your case you say you want to go into networking. What normally happens (there can be some people who are lucky) is that you start of working on a help desk or in a 1st line support role then you progress into a job such as networking after gaining some good experience.

The IT certifications you should be looking at studying are compTIA A+, compTIA N+ and Microsofts MCDST in that order.

You can do these by on-line study through a company like computeach or advent(which can be very expensive) or you could look at your local college and see if they do them, or you could self study (which most people on here would advocate). Self study is cheap, you can do it at your own pace and there are no hidden extra funds to pay. You just buy the books needed, read them, practice what you have learned and take the exams at a local test centre.

Since you should be looking at the A+ first check out the books compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles. Those two books will cover the two exams needed for the A+ if you can get an old PC to mess with too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. buzbo

buzbo New Member

Well thanks for the quick replys and thank you for the recommendations. I will go out and look for the book you mentioned and study it!

Thanks gents

Update: I have bought compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles off amazon.co.uk so Will start learning these as soon as they arrive!

WIP: A+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Welcome

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff