Newbie Help...

Discussion in 'Security+' started by sidhaanth, Jun 21, 2009.

1. sidhaanth

sidhaanth New Member

hey guys ..
    i wanna make a career out of network security.

i wanted to know if the "Comptia Secuity+" is a good way to start,a..im new into network security field but i have done my MCPD And OCP..but then i realzied programming is not the line for me and i always had a interest in security

1.MSCE: Security
    2.CCSP
    3.CCNA
    4.RHCe
    5.RCHSS

ARE these good enough as in just for learning purposes..industry exp will come later i guess

Certifications: MCPD,OCP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, imo, I would say that experience would either come before or at the same time as the above...

Professional certifications are there to reflect a persons job role and responsibilities and not used for a subsititute for experience.

There is a growing number of IT managers that are disregarding higher level certifications of a candidate if the experience does not match, you can read about it here.

If you want to study for a higher level qualification without the experience, then I would strongly recommend doing a degree in Network Security.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. sidhaanth

sidhaanth New Member

so basicaly wht uer saying this tht along with all my studies and certifications i shud try getting some exp also..so by the end of it i have all the required certifications and the experince right?

4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Pretty much :)
    Your cert's will have a reduced impact on an employer if you don't have the experience to back it up- especially in an area as security (I would guess).

5. sidhaanth

sidhaanth New Member

true true but finding a job while im still studying is the most difficult part..esp here in india

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

How long were you a professional progammer for ? How long were you a professional DBA for ? How long did it take you to get your certs ? When do you leave college ?

7. sidhaanth

sidhaanth New Member

im still in college by the way..final year..i took up programming in high school..visual basic was my passion,c++,c# and databases but i always wanted to do network security and due to the lack of proper training here i never did..but as of late lots of institutions have come up which would help me to due what i always wanted to do..

no offence i think programming is a great line but not just from my perceptive

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

So basically you spent 3+ years on stuff which you don't like ?

Then you studied and certified on stuff that generally requires 2+ years experience and at least a year of study TWICE which you weren't interested in ?

All of this before even leaving college and writing any real code or creating any real databases ?

How long did you study for your certs for ?

9. sidhaanth

sidhaanth New Member

the education system here is different from yours..it was compulsory for us to study programming languages in school..i had no choice but to study it..and the only other available option was to learn the language "sanskrit"(old indian lang)..so computer was a better option fr me at tht time ..in coll we were made to do MCPD certification...
    our educations system is still very narrow minded and primitive in terms of flexibility..there are not many options available to us in high scholl as to which stream to go to towards the time you reach coll...everyone does the same course in school..even he/she doesnt want to..