Newbie considering 'Advent' or to go it alone?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by skinnerjoe, Oct 26, 2007.

1. skinnerjoe

skinnerjoe New Member

Hello folks.
    I am a new forum member and am considering undertaking some courses to gain IT qualifications to enable me to apply for jobs in the industry. Had a careers chat with an advisor from 'Advent' and I liked the look of the MCSE with the option to add on the MCDBA too. However they are very expensive!!!! Considering going it alone and buying materials and using sites like this for support. Have read some previous posts on these forums and there appears to be mixed reviews of 'Advent' and plenty of support for doing all the courses on your own. However, by going with 'Advent' I feel I would perhaps be ensured I am covering all the material I need and with a path progressing through each stage bit by bit.

The 'Advent' course starts with IT Fundamentals, A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE (and also MCDBA somewhere in the middle)

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Go it alone! Hands down. Don't waste your money mate.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest if you do not have any IT experience do not go for the MCSE. Go for the entry level professional certifications like the A+, Network+ and the MCDST, which would be more benefical to you. If you want to attain a high qualification without any experience go and do a degree.

Alot of people here will recommend you to self study, and a few (like my self) will also recommend contacting your local college's/Uni's to see if they offer Microsoft/Comptia courses (alot of colleges/Uni's are becoming MS & Comptia Academies). These academies are offering professional certification courses at a faction of what you pay for with alot of these private training companies.

See here.

Also, I do not know how much knowledge you have of the IT industry, but please do not fall for their sales pitch of "do our 20 day MCSE course* and you'll be earning £30K** afterwards". Because the industry is not like that.

BTW, welcome to CF, glad you joined :)

-Ken

*this is based on their diagram as for 25/10/2007 10.15hrs
    **this is based on various TV commericals that are currently (2006-2007) on UK tv

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that Ken said it all.

Welcome to CF. :biggrin

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Good advice has been given.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I can't really beat what has already been said. Welcome to CF - hope you enjoy the place :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Go it alone... and welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. skinnerjoe

skinnerjoe New Member

Thanks for your opinions. Going to order up the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Sixth Edition) by Mike Meyers so I can do the self study method. Will search these forums for advice and stuff when I get started.

11. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome,

If you can self study its the cheapest way to go and you can study at your own pace..:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff