Newbie and need help for setting up CentOS on VirtualBox for Mac

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Chaitanya, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Chaitanya

Chaitanya New Member

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie and I downloaded virtualbox and it works great.
    I downloaded CentOS 6 and I have configured it on VirtualBox. CentOs has started and is working now.

Although what I want to do further is that from my host machine(Mac) I want to connect to guest machine(CentOS).
    So that I can connect it through ssh and do further operations remotely.
    Can someone please help me understand how can I set this up? What changes are required on my mac or on centOS if need to do them?

I selected NAT when I setup my virtual box. Further on CentOS by default the following IP address was available:

10.0.2.15 255.255.255.0

Appreciate help to set this up.
    Also I am not able to use the clipboard across the machines? Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
    CS

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've never used VirtualBox but maybe somebody here could help you with the issue. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Change the network adapter attached to your VirtualBox Guest to Bridged.

Untitled.png

I'd install the Guest Additions as well. Devices >> Install Guest Additions to sort out your clipboard issue.

Untitled2.png

Last edited: May 2, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

All you should really need to do is configure centos to be an sshserver ( CentOS SSH Installation And Configuration ) < something like that should get you there. You can change from nat to bridged but if you are only accessing the centos install from the mac host there is no need to, it Only gets awkward if you are trying to access centos in nat mode on your mac from some other computer on your network as your router wont know where to point the traffic to unless you tell it.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Aha, I knew there would be a setting somewhere for that. Probably the only place I didn't look (there and the entire internet) before firing up a browser on the guest OS and copying what I had to from there.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job