Newbie and in need of advice on Careerjobs.uk

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sammyg, Apr 18, 2011.

1. sammyg

sammyg New Member

Hello everybody
    :oops:
    I am a newbie to this forum and need some advice already, has anyone came across Careerjobs.uk, I know now they are running a **** to which I admit I ashamedly fell for as I was desperately looking for work or a course to do, when I later found out about this company from the numerous forums warning you against this company I ended up canceling my card and sending them a letter confirming me cancellation as I had only just joined and it was within the 7 day cooling off period, anyway I have yet to hear anything and on checking my bank account I see there were really quick off the mark and took £79 from my bank account, now I am just going to phone them up, later today actually, and try to my best to get a refund, but I am a bit skeptical as I don't think it will be that easy, thus my question can I ask if anyone who fell for this as well and then realised did they ever get a refund off these muppets and how did you acheive this?

Please help as I just feel so embarrassed and ashamed that I fell for this and would appreciate some advice as how, if any, I could gain a refund of these muppets:(?

Please answer as soon as possible.

Sammyg

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

This thread may be of help to you.

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

If memory servers me correct according to one the UK sales law you have 7 days from receiving goods or services to cancel, as opposed to signing the contract, so if they are playing a stalling game of not delivering before your cancellation period then they are misguided at best.

I would check out consumeractiongroup forum for more advice (rather than my year old memory on this) on statutes

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a bit more complicated than that.
    There are strict rules governing contracts and cancellation periods. However, these vary slightly depending on where the contract is signed and the nature of the services provided.

Let's assume the contract meets all the legal requirements (it might not, but that's going to be a complicated battle).

If the contract gives you 7 days to cancel, and you just feel like cancelling after that then I'm afraid you haven't got a leg to stand on. Unfortunately you signed a contract without doing your homework first, then you haven't followed the proper process to get out of it.

You'll need a valid reason to cancel, and this will depend on the service that you have recieved (or not received). Companies need to ensure that thye provide things that are fit for purpose, as described and delivered with due care and skill. If they have failed on any of these counts, then your first call is to make a written complaint to them detailing exactly what has gone wrong in your particular case and giving them the opportunity to put it right. Only if they fail to take suitable action at this point do you have cause to take it further.

I would also point out that whatever they are doing, it is not a 'con' or a 'scam'. At worst, they are taking advantage of people who are foolish, but it's important to make the distinction.

If you've got a case of 'I've changed my mind and think I can get out of it because I read on a forum that it's a scam so that'll do me' then you are fighting a losing battle.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh - I'm happy to help you out if I can, but you need to provide more details. PM me if you like. HTH.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. CautiousChap

CautiousChap New Member

That may not be strictly true. The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 deal with many categories of mis-selling, including misleading omissions or false information.

Firstly, sammyg will need to establish whether what he was sold is even a valid training programme. Career Jobs UK sell on MindLeaders training programmes but without any real knowledge of what they're re-selling.

Have a look at the following list of MCTS and MCITP exams due to retire this June:

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development

If sammyg has been sold a 6 month or 12 month "training programme" for exams retiring in a few weeks' time then he/she should be straight onto Consumer Direct and/or the OFT.

WIP: MCTS, MCITP, BSc in Computing
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The distinction I'm trying to make is that a con or a scam exist to deliberately defraud people.
    That's not the same as misselling or failing to deliver servies with due care.

It's a fine line, and indeed it may not matter.
    Being conned or scammed indicates some kind of criminal intent or premeditaion, which is what I was trying to steer clear of.

With regards to the courses being about to expire, the first thing I would ask someone is 'why did you buy it?'
    It's not illegal to sell analogue TVs a few months before the digital switchover, but people would be foolish to buy one.

I suspect that they have a clause in the small print that says something like they have the right to change the product at any time, especially if the change is forced on them by a third party. Then they'll dress it up as a goodwill upgrade and it makes lodging a complaint difficult - as they will be seen to be behaving in a reasonable way to rectify something that isn't strictly their fault. I knew a company that was selling MCSD courses nearly a year after they retired. Their argument was that the exam wasn't included and so the fact that it had retired was neither here nor there, the course still had value as a course for people who wanted to learn .NET. They got away with it.

In reality though, you are quite right - they don't know what they are doing and they haven't got anyone there who knows what's going on in the industry. Another lesson in doing your homework first.

7. sof1993

sof1993 New Member

i have just had that same problem. i am going to call my lawyer and see what she says, i WILL be getting my money back and they WILL be discovered.

Sophie

cautious chick and jensmiff92 like this.
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you tried any other avenues before consulting a lawyer?
    Even if you win, you could still be out of pocket.

9. imon

imon New Member

Hi! Just like you. I hate careerjobs.co.uk. I've nearly fallen to trap. I don't blame you if you call them scam! Recently, one of their consultant rang me and want me an interview because i was looking for a job. I was surprise the way they speak, very convincing, they promise me that they will find me a job after 3 months after I passed the exam but this is database administrator though I haven't got any MS certificate, they told me they were largest recruitment agency and the training is free because they will funded for it but then in the end they asking me for a monthly fee of £79. I didn't agree with that and the man changed his tone and shouting to me and said: "You know what? I am going to rip your application and you just wasting my time!" his name is tyrone.

Certifications: A+, N+,
    WIP: MCSA, MCITP, CIW
  10. CautiousChap

CautiousChap New Member

Hi,
    I can't find the related thread (due to the tautological term "Career Jobs" being such good camouflage in hiding from meaningful search engine results) but I gather someone mentioned that they wanted to see an example of the ads.

Here are a few below. As you'll note, they're cautious enough not to claim to be a training agency and they're smart enough to not claim to be a recognized employment agency. However, I'm not sure if the Advertising Standards Authority would take so kindly to ads of this nature, especially when the purpose is to identify unemployed people and decide on the basis of their CVs whether they'd be a mark for £79 per month. Links below:
    DBA examples:

Enniskillen:

Database Administrator **No Experience Needed** - Enniskillen, County Fermanagh - Job: 50281486 - Totaljobs.com

Derry:

Database Administrator **No Experience Needed** - Londonderry, County Londonderry - Job: 50281488 - Totaljobs.com

Jersey:

Database Administrator **No Experience Needed** - Jersey - Job: 50281664 - Totaljobs.com

Omagh:

Database Administrator **No Experience Needed** - Omagh, County Tyrone - Job: 50281493 - Totaljobs.com

IT Engineer examples:

Middlesborough:

IT Engineer **No Experience Needed** - Middlesbrough, Cleveland - Job: 50281962 - Totaljobs.com

Newquay:

IT Engineer **No Experience Needed** - Newquay, Cornwall - Job: 50282185 - Totaljobs.com

Dunfermline:

IT Engineer **No Experience Needed** - Dunfermline, Fife - Job: 50282085 - Totaljobs.com

WIP: MCTS, MCITP, BSc in Computing
  11. cautious chick

cautious chick Bit Poster

Hi Sammyg,

I was in the same boat as you and cancelled within the 7 day period, I quoted their terms and conditions - I got refunded! What was your outcome?

12. cautious chick

cautious chick Bit Poster

As long as you have done everything the right way - T&Cs adhered to, there should be no problem. I cancelled without any problem and got a refund. Just as they said they would, you just have to keep to your side of the bargain and they will do the same.

13. thenewday007

thenewday007 New Member

Hello,everybody.I am a newer here.I like to make friends.If u are the people that like to make friends too,just contact me.Haha.

14. Ducati1098

Ducati1098 New Member

OMG I'm another one pulled in by the offer of a job etc etc. Trying cancel but may result in closing my bank acct to stop them taking the money out of the bank acct (after 45 years with one bank) The disputed team at your bank may be able to help you contact the company but it means sending in all paperwork to them and time to resolve so here's hoping we get somewhere.

15. damardsajg

damardsajg New Member

i recently signed up to careerjobuk for the MCTS they have only taken the £79 as agreed, and i seem to be getting the right course materials through on mindleaders, im not 100% sure on what everyones saying here, so im half n half at the moment, has anyone completed the course and found out its a scam, or has everyone here just cancled before even starting the course, since i havnt nothing through the post yet to confirm the course, i havnt signed my name to anything, so im not legally binded to anything, im half n half at the moment due to the reason, i been reading everything on certforums and havnt seen anyone say they completed the course, im half minded to the reason theyre all just disgruntled at not passing the course, the course material seems legit enough, and everything else does. im just looking for some real clarification to the course before i go cancelling anything.

if anyone could help me with this and give me a 100% minded reaction im willing to listen

thanks.

16. andy2510

andy2510 Bit Poster

Hi damardsajg.

If you wanted to do the course originally, or still want to do it then I wouldn't cancel - completing it will be to your benefit and not theirs. Just be aware that chances are there won't be a job at the end of it.

The complaints here are about how the company recruits people onto the course rather than the course itself.

Hope that helps

JonnyMX likes this.