Newbie & advice needed

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hally83, Jan 18, 2009.

1. hally83

hally83 New Member

Hey,

Just stumbled across this site when looking for info on the A+ and N+ certs. Had a "careers advisor" from skillstrain round the other day and after the amount of money he quoted for the above exams, Thought I'd do a bit more research.

I think going it alone is the way forward, think I could buy a few hundred books/test exams with the money I'd save!

What do you guys think? Going it alone, or parting with a hideous amount of money. I don't currently work in the industry but have built, repaired and troubleshooted my own and friends PC's, so I'm not a complete beginner.

Ideally would like to progress onto CCNA, but doing the A+ first, then N+.

I'd welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,

Chris.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Yes - you will save a *lot* of money by going it alone - but you must put in the hours and the dedication! :biggrin

A+ and N+ are a very good start in IT.

Why CCNA? Just because you have seen the letters quoted a lot - or because you are filled with enthusiasm for all things Cisco?

If the former then you might want to reconsider!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Hi and welcome Chris,

Sounds like you have found the right answers already. :D

Self study A+ and Net+ is an excellent start.

Check out Mike Meyers all-in one books on Amazon. A+ HERE , Net+ HERE and HERE (This one is for the new exam, book due out in April)

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Plus I'm just going to add, the CCNA expires every 3 years. What are the chances that you'll be put on Cisco kit straight away when you do get into IT, will the company you work for be using Cisco kit? At our place the only bit of Cisco kit that we have is a router, the rest of the kit is HP. Just something to think about...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. hally83

hally83 New Member

Hi and thanks for the welcome,

CCNA because I want to get into networking. It seems the standard but again, i'm new to the IT qualification world so there is a lot I don't know. I'm sure i'll be round here a bit though and, who knows, will probably end up taking a different path.

@Mercury - I'd already discovered from this site that his books are the best! Think i'll order at least the A+ one now, seeing as on Amazon it's exactly 1% of what skillstrain want :D

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies,

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Pass your N+ and *then* decide if CCNA is for you!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. hally83

hally83 New Member

Thanks!

Ordered the mike meyers book yesterday so should be receiving it soon. Decided against getting the N+ one now as I think i'll just concentrate on this one.

Thanks again for the advice.

Chris.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+ and N+ are great first certs to get. Just so you know not many people start in networking regardless of the cert they have, people have to start at the bottom and work up to it.

Having the CCNA wont make any IT director worth his salt say that you can get loose on their network without any on the job experience. Certs like the CCNA are desined to show that you have the experience not the just the knowledge.

So getting the N+ and some experience before the CCNA would be a good idea.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?