Newbie advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Network+' started by paulypaul0, Dec 9, 2007.

1. paulypaul0

paulypaul0 New Member

Hope this isn't a daft question but here goes! Still at a very early stage researching what is right for me but I think the N+ is it. My question is, apart from the course books I'd need, what else do people on here think i should have available to help me through the course? Eg 2 pc's / laptops I can practice networking on, software etc.

Look forward to hearing your pearls of wisdom!

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The question makes perfect sense. Yes, to practice networking, you'll need something to network. Two or more PCs or laptops would be fine. You can connect them with a crossover cable (and you could practice making one...what fun) or you would buy a small 5-port switch and a couple of patch cables.

Before doing anything though, if you haven't done so, go to comptia.org and visit their Network+ certification page to make sure you are familiar with all of the requirements for this certification. Purchase at least one good book such as the current editon of the Sybex Network+ study guide by Groth. The book should describe any equipment and materials you'll need to successfully study for this exam.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That's Good advice from trip:rocks:clap

BTW - trip when will you release your book on Comptia Network?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The 12th of never. I haven't written a Network+ book. I did write an A+ book for the Sybex "Street Smarts" series but Toby Skandier wrote the Network+ Street Smarts book. I *did* create a video course on the Network+ for Keystone but am not entirely sure of its fate. There were many issues with Keystone losing my files and asking for me to resend them on several occasions. I officially finished the project almost two years ago but still can't be sure the product is for sale.

To see which books I actually have written (or am writing), visit my publications page.

Thanks for asking (gives me an excuse to post an unabashed plug). :oops:

5. paulypaul0

paulypaul0 New Member

Thanks for that - I'll get hold of the book and see what it says. I have some basic experience and have been recommended the N+ as a good first certification to gain, and while I want to do it properly, I also want to keep the costs down if I can. A couple of pc's isn't a problem, but if I need to buy software too I guess that will start to push up the costs involved???

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You wont have to buy any software just network the two PCs with Windows and see if you can do things like share data, copy data and set up some pretend users and assign network privelages that sort of thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Or download MS virtual machine, or vmware.

Will save you some cash if you need to buy extra equipment, wont teach you how to cable though :(

WIP: LIFE
  8. paulypaul0

paulypaul0 New Member

Scuse my ignorance but what are these!?

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't overlook the usefulness of the A+ certification as a good first certification. After all, you're much more likely to work on PCs than networks starting out in IT. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member