Newbie 2

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Allen.Jarrett, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Allen.Jarrett

Allen.Jarrett New Member

Hey everyone. I am seriously considering a computeach course (MCSA/MCSE, CompTIA A+/CCNA/CCNP). I have been accepted for these, pending my signature for funding.
    This is quite a bit of money (just under 6K!). I Just would like to know if its worth just doing the Microsoft course, or both this and the cisco course.
    I've been reading mixed views on computeach and need some guidance.

Yes i'm quite young but dont hold that against me (I have my current job for that).

Any comment would be appreciated.

MAny Thanks

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As far as whether or not you should go for MS or MS + Cisco; I think that depends on what your career goals are. Money aside, study what really interests you and motivates you. While MS and Cisco certs are not mutually exclusive, they do represent two different vendor-driven career paths. To put it another way (and an overly simplistic way at that), are you a server guy or a network guy?

BTW, Welcome to CertForums, Allen. I hope you like the place.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Allen,

Have a good look around the Boards - there's loads of advice on this for you. Other than, welcome to the Boards - your more than welcome :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi there, and welcome to the forums! :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi and a big welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Allen.Jarrett

Allen.Jarrett New Member

"are you a server guy or a network guy?"

The computeach rep and i had a bit of a discussion about this, both are interesting so i was recomended to do both. I just dont if i should do both. (from the cost i mean). Im thinking maybe the networking first then progress how to work with these 'properly'.
    if that makes any sense.

Hi to everyone by the way!.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have to admit, I learned a awful lot about general networking by studying for my CCNA.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Allen and welcome to the forum. Instead of forking out all that cash straight up why don't you grab an A+ book and do a bit of reading and study at home to start with. Then maybe do the Network+ after that. I think that doing it this way will open your view of which way to go. If you do decide to jump straight into a training provider's course then maybe start with doing an MCSA. You can always build on top of it after.

HTH:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685