New VMware Certification offerings - VMware Certified Associate (VCA)

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by SimonD, Aug 26, 2013.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

VMware has just announced the availability of more VMware Certified Associate level certifications (VCA). Like the earlier There is no mandatory training or Pre-requisite for the VCA exam but there are recommended FREE on-line training course which can be taken for the exam preparation. There are currently 3 exams which are now available for registration and VCA-NV will be available shortly.

Below are the new VMware Certified Associate exams:

VMware Certified Associate – Cloud (VCA-Cloud)
    VMware Certified Associate – Data Center Virtualization (VCA-DCV)
    VMware Certified Associate – Workforce Mobility (VCA-WM)
    VMware Certified Associate – Network Virtualization (VCA-NV) Coming Soon

More information about the certifications can be found on the VMware Certification page and the VMware Certfication Road Map

I can now add pricing to this.

UK pricing is £80 per exam (ex VAT) but currently there is a 50% discount on so I just paid £48 for it.
    If you know the subject matter it's really easy, I would say that it took me no more than 15 minutes for all 50 questions.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Arroryn, wagnerk and The Zig like this.
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Thanks for this, I may do one or two VMware certs next year, even if it's just to get to say that I'm VMware certified :hhhmmm

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

What are the costs for these new exams?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As the exams are all web based I would expect them to be cheaper than proctor'd exams and from what I can see they are currently live in the US at a cost of $120, I would expect a 1 - 1 $ - £ price on that and would be surprised if that doesn't happen.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

This is great news for me as my training is self funded and the VCP5 course is out of my reach, VMware following Cisco in their entry level certs

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Still no confirmation on GBP prices but I can confirm that the € cost is €90

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice! Anyone new to vSphere could definitely benefit from this.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Is it only going to be available as a web based exam?

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That's my understanding yes.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yup, its only available as a web based exam and right now its $60 (50% off)... To be honest, I just took and passed the exam out of pure curiosity and due to a lower cost... I personally wouldn't pay $120 for it as it's really meant for beginners so it wouldn't help me much, but for those that are new to VMware, this exam definitely covers the basics and I would recommend it. Especially to do it now, since its half the price.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  11. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

If its web based how do they verify who is taking the exam?

12. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Interesting... :)

I'm not a newbie to vSphere but by no means an expert (I set up production ESX at my company). Is this one of the certs just to have for the sake of it because it's VMware or will this actually be beneficial? Would this be the VMware's A+ (not content wise but level)?

@Theprof

Which exam did you take?

At $60 dollars I would definitely do this :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I took the VCA-DCV... but the exam wasn't hard, it's not like the VCP where you have to understand the vSphere technology in more depth... Honestly, the VCA kind of felt like the VTSP but a bit more challenging. If you look at the blueprint, you'll see the kind of topics you're being tested on.

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Pricing now added.

£80 for the UK exam (ex vat) but there is a 50% discount on at the moment so currently it costs £48 per exam.

15. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Interesting. Thanks for sharing all this.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Interesting, I may look at these soon as I'm starting a new job where I'll be using VMWare. All my experience is in Hyper-V thus far.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

This discount has ended already??

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  18. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I was wrong - discount still in affect until the end of the year.

Better still, I've just received an email from VMware Education to offer me a free VCA exam!

Pity I'm busy moving house as the offer is only valid until the end of Sept, but it's worth having a stab for free, even if I don't get through all of the course material, I guess...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

3 hours or so for the fundamentals training, the DCV exam is really quite straight forward, it was the Cloud exam that was harder.

20. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Considering doing these as a supplement to my MCSE stuff. I'd like to get in to VMware a bit more and it's quite rare to have the web-based exams for the bigger vendors, no? I like the idea of something I can sit at home and study for, then sit at home and pass the exam too ;)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA