New Virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 2, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep he is :D

It was actually him who told me that he had never heard of the A+ and I should look at the MCSE.

He was one the old boys who went into IT from accountancy.

Cheers for the encouragement.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That could be issue, loads of people moved over to IT during the .com boom just for the money. The problem is that they haven’t grown up with IT and messed around with computers before moving into the IT industry. Generally I find they don’t have a passion for IT. (Note: this does not apply to everyone!)

The IT manager in my old work was like that as he moved over from the sales department originally. He refused to install patches on any servers just in case it would break something. I said we should image the server(s) and then deploy the image onto a test server to install the updates and then document any problems. He dismissed it as a waste of time however a few weeks later our FTP server got hacked and we ended up having to format it and start over. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

thats how the IT director is, I have said to him numerous times that we have updates ready to apply on the servers in my department but he wont allow me to implement them nor do any of his staff seem to want to do it.

4. Sparky

It’s all part of the maintenance of the server. They should be testing the patches and then installing as needed.

Are your servers running SP2 for Server 2003 yet?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. greenbrucelee

not sure to be honest, the way this place works I doubt it.

6. Sparky

Email the guy who fired out the email warning about the "virus" and say you need to install SP2 immediately to prevent the virus from spreading. Might speed up the deployment of patches on your servers. :biggrin

7. greenbrucelee

I doubt that would be a good idea, I have just been speaking to him as the IT dept are (at the weekend) going to change the switches on their vlans and he didn't seem to know what a vlan was :blink

I also was telling him that I was studying certs and he told me he used TK to get his MCSA, sounds like a cheat to me.

8. Sparky

Loads of them about, talk BS and use BDs to get certs. :rolleyes:

9. greenbrucelee

that pisses me off how someone can get a job in an area I want to work in and has cheated to get there, whilst I study and try to do it in a legit way.

10. Sparky

Been there myself mate, the guy who just left the company I work for was getting £10k more than me and he used BDs to get MCSE and a stack of Cisco certs.

To be honest it was getting the point of embarrassment when he couldn’t do simple admin tasks on a server and was no use whatsoever when we had complex migration projects to do. I ended up doing the projects myself; it was great for the experience but was quite stressful.

11. greenbrucelee

hopefully he was sacked and not going to a better job.

12. Sparky

He was on the way out so he left and managed to BS his way into another job.

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Which he probably wont last long. People like that tend to float from place to place. I mean how can you keep them when they can't even do the most simplistic things.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. BosonMichael

Psst... Sparks... GBL got burnt by it too... don't throw him under the bus as well, mate!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. BosonMichael

Agree, completely. You keep doing what you're doing, and leave those who don't want to be good co-workers/supervisors behind.

I also agree with Arro... he sounds like a tit.

17. BosonMichael

Yep... and that's how braindumping hurts ALL of us... it (eventually) hurts those who cheat, it hurts those who don't cheat, it hurts the certification vendors, it hurts legit practice exam companies, and it hurts companies who hire dumpers.