New Virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 2, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A while back Zeb pointed out that he had a chain email scam going about his place called the Olympic Torch, in the email it claimed it was a virus and if you didn't pass it on you would become infected. This was a fake.

Now there is an email going around called Invitation and if you open it, it puts a virus on your pc called Olympic Torch which apparently burns your whole C: drive.

According to my IT dept Microsoft are saying its one of the most destructive viruses ever. If you get an email called Invitation delete it immediatley.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Any links to what MS are saying about this mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hoax :)

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/invitation.asp

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/olympic-torch-virus-hoax.html

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Sparky

Doh! <recalls email!> :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. greenbrucelee

I told my IT dept about this hoax ages ago, now My IT dept are saying its real however I can't find anything on the internet about the 'Real one' so I am not sure now :blink

6. Sparky

Just to wind up your IT department, ask why it should even be getting to a users inbox if it is such an obvious virus.

Then run away..... :biggrin

7. greenbrucelee

have just recieved an email from my IT dept saying there new boy has fuc** up and spread panic around the company, by saying it is real :blink

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

GBL, your collegues can't just say something is real without giving some kind of tangiable evidence. that is how these pesky myths are proliferated. If they say it's real, it should be accompanied by a link to a trusted web site that has the facts about the viruses origin. Anything else is just hearsay, and highly likely to be utter claptrap.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. greenbrucelee

yep I realise this now, apparently the new IT guy panicked as he had been left alone and did a groupwide email to everyone in the whole company. :blink

10. Sparky

Email your IT department and ask for a job, the new guy doesn’t sound too good! :biggrin

11. greenbrucelee

Have tried that before, I don't think the IT director likes me although I get on with the rest of the staff. My face don't fit in his eyes.

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Seconded :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  13. Sparky

Shame, sounds like the new guy isn’t up to much, his face must fit though.

14. greenbrucelee

the IT director is one of those people who like his staff to be 'yes sir, yes three bags full sir' suckups.

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would definitely not get along with your IT director, because I am not shy to speak my mind and the minute he tries to pull something, I would make him stop right away.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. Sparky

P45!! :biggrin

Only kidding. :biggrin

Must admit I prefer to work with people that offer an opinion or a suggestion now and again. 8)

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree, I believe that a lot of times it is important to speak your mind, it avoids a lot of issue, especially in a work environment. At work, I am not an ***hole or anything I am very respectful to my boss and peers but I always say the truth and when I don't like something I will admit it. To be honest I get along very well with everyone.

I believe when someone is scared to say something and always agrees, problems occur do to miscommunication and at work that could mean big problems.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  18. greenbrucelee

I think the problem with him about me is once I told him an easier way of doing something (can't remember what it was) and he got the hump. Because he like doing things the log winded way, and I think thats put him off considering me for a job.

19. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

In that case, he sounds like a complete tit. :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If that's the case then he doesn't seem to be in the correct work environment. If anything in IT there are many ways of doing things, if one suggested a better way then great, thank the guy, because for all he knows you could of saved him a headache or two.

GBL to be honest with you, keep up the great work and don't let people like that discourage you. I came across quite a few people like that who were in management at the time and if someone suggests something better and the person who suggested the idea is by work status below the manager, the manager automatically ignores it because he/she thinks its wrong.