1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New version of Network+ exam in 2009?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by jo74, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

On a whim, I had a look at the Network+ books available on Amazon.co.uk and had them ordered according to publication date. There's new editions of books for the Network+ being published in the first half of '09: Meyer's All in One, the ones by Sybex (study guide, fast pass, street smarts).

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

There will be a new major updated to the Network+ in 2009 (just waiting for the objectives to come thru). Last time the Network+ had a major update was in 2005 with a minor revision back in 2007.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've also heard of a new version coming out in early '09.

4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Early '09? But does that mean the current exam will retire then? When the new A+ objectives in 2006 were published, didn't the 2003 exams remain available until the middle of '07? I'm currently doing the A+ and N+ together (though with more emphasis on the A+ until I pass), should I get a move on or wait until we all know more?

5. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would make sure you have studied enough before taking any exams, until we see what has changed we can't say but I doubt it will be a lot.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

If your doing both at once mate, i'd stop with the Net+ and just concentrate on the A+. By the time your ready to do N+, things will be alot clearer with the materials/updated exam.

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The current exam will retire a few months after the new exam is released. The 2003 A+ was due to retire Dec 31 '06, but it was extended for a few months (6 more months, I think). I wouldn't count on that with Network+. I have no official inside information, but if I had to guess, I'd say it'll retire by July 1, 2009.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I'm planning to sit the A+ exams in August (I'm spending most of time on them), if I made a start on the N+ in September, then couldn't it be useful preparation when the exams change? Rather than waiting several months (oh, and buying a load of new books :cry:)

9. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep you could use what you have until the new study material comes out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

History is repeating itself, i will have to get my act together now, could be the kick up the bum i need. As BM said the A+ 2003 objectives were due to finish Dec 2006 but they were extended to June 07 which was when i sat mine, i would have thought this would be the case for N+ as well ( hopes) Gary.

Certifications: A+
  11. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

I think Amazon were in the know as they have reduced the price of the AOI Gary

Certifications: A+
  12. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It might... it might not. In any case, I wouldn't dilly-dally around, expecting that it'll be extended.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Excellent - if this does happen, i know exactly what i'll be doing for my next cert and it may change at the right time to