1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this also

Discussion in 'A+' started by Wiz, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

Ok i'm going to be self studying to get the A+ qualification a long with the Web Design, just a couple of questions really, what book would you say now would be the one to get for i hear Mike Meyers mentioned a lot take it hese to the one book to get?

Heres the other, what exams would i need to take as i see all these numbers to each one to get the full A+ plus qualification and where to take when i'm all studied up?

Thanks in advance

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  2. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

In the absence of GBL.
    I would recommend the Mike Meyers All In One 6th edition as others do, it is a pretty big read but reads really well and remains interesting, Also the PC Technician Street Smarts book by James Pyles is quite good for practical excercises to do, Also a spare PC can be handy to take apart and put back together.

Good Luck

Forgot the 2nd question.
    The A+ exam layout is actually covered in some depth at the beginning of the mike meyers AIO book, but its basically you do the Essentials test and the 1 of the other 3. The tests are:
    Essentials
    220-602 IT Technician
    220-603 Help Desk Technician
    220-604 Depot Technician

As I say the Mike Meyers book covers them in depth and tells givews an indication of how each test is weighted

WIP: A+
  3. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice, will certainly grab those books mentioned

I have many spare PC's as i already build my own systems, that's one of the reasons why i would like to study for the full A+ qualification

4. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

Does anyone know what time scale it would take to do the essentials and say the 220-602 exam? on average

5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It can really vary, whats your current experience in IT? Some people take weeks, others months, even a year or more.

Personally I knew quite abit about computers, and had worked in IT for 6 months before I went for the A+. It took me 4 months of on/off studying for the 601, and a further month for the 602.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Web Design? Would you want to be able to perform animations as well. I'd definitly get the A+ initially, then move onto HTML straight after, then choose to work with either Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX or ASP.NET. These will look good in portfolio skills

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  7. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies peeps

I've done quite a bit of system building for family and friends, i know my way round a computer, apart from the real ins and outs which i need to clear up...even with that time length sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than a training provider that's for sure.

Will be ording the Mike Meyers book hopefully today and use that...

Yeah i was thinking of doing it that way now A+ then the CIW as the CIW web design (PS, DW flash...etc) will probably a lot longer as it's sitting at a computer base where A+ you can read first then apply.

I've worked on a few sites designs nothing big just ones where i've been a co-owner of them, that's what got me interested in it how it all goes and all that fun stuff