New to the world of IT would love some expert advice

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by craney, Dec 2, 2009.

1. craney

craney New Member

Hi everyone im kinda new to the IT field and was looking for some advice really, i feel i have a basic understanding of hows the windows OS works this is from mainly teaching myself i can build a compiter from scratch no probs. My main question is i have been put on a course that is studing the MCDST cert as well as the MCSA i have 3 months to complete the course, im using the microsoft e learning that the dynamic IT company im doing the course with gave me so its all online which is kinda good. As i am more a less learning this from scratch i am finding it kinda hard to take it all in and i have been thinking is this really the right course for me, it covers so may areas and the network side of it is really confusing me. If im honest i am really keen on l earning and being involved in the hardware side of things so was wondering if someone could may point me in the right direction of which course i should be taking. I have tried so hard over the last week to try and understand the MCDST i have considered getting some books to maybe help me but they seem to be pricey

Anyway sorry for going on i hope some of you could point me in the right direction from your own experience and maybe help me understand the best way of learning the material

many thanks

liam

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

First off. Welcome to the forum.

Im afraid you are going to have to knuckle down and learn the software side of things. Very few jobs around are going to want to just to support the hardware, and pay no attention to the software. Whilst you may find jobs that emphasise the hardware more, there will still be the software side of things. And more so, the networking stuff - you are going to have to support networking in a corporate environment to some degree.

Since you want to get into IT, theres a good chance that your first role will be some sort of 1st line support role. In that, the MCDST certainly wont do you any harm to learn. If you have already paid for it, make the most of the course and work at getting the cert.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. craney

craney New Member

thanks for the responce mate i am going to do my best to knckle down and learn the mcdst material its just so hard with shift work. Is there any books that you would reccomend with the mcdst material as taking it to work would really help me out, i have heard of exam cram or something like that but red it was a bit dated, someone did mention to me about a new mcdst book or version coming out but not to sure on that, just i dont wanna get a rubbish one as they are meant to be a bit pricey

Last of all with the A+ cert is this similar to the mcdst should i look into this cert?

Thanks so much again

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I cant give specific resources that would benefit, as I havent looked at the MCDST course. But someone will almost certainly be along to point you in the right direction.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The MCDST, Microsoft certified desktop support technician and the sylabus covers the below:

MS office applications i.e. Word, Excel and MS Outlook etc but not in dept.
    PST - personal folders, copy of e-mail for future reference.
    Hardware and network i.e. TCP/IP

I would get the book by Microsoft and slowly start going through it. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. craney

craney New Member

thanks very much mate, i have ordered the new microsoft book off amazon covering the 271 exam it looks pretty dam big so it might take me a while lol

Could anyone reccomend me the best way to get onto an A+ course, was not sure if you had to book a course somewhere or if you could buy the material online such as books etc, i have been doing alot of reading around and from what i have seen lots of people have said you are better off doing A+ before MCDST so im a little confused on weather to carry on my MCDST studies or move to A+. Is A+ a well reconized certificate to IT employers or are the really looking for micrsoft certs?

thanks again