New to the forums, A+ but not computers..

Discussion in 'A+' started by sirbin2000, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sirbin2000

sirbin2000 New Member

Hello all. I recently found out about A+ Certification and have been reading about it online, viewing practice tests, and learning as much as I can for the past week. I've been messing around with computers for years and have put a few together. Since I'm a beginner to this A+ Certification, what would you suggest I do right now? I plan on buying one or two books from Amazon, and maybe taking some courses on it at http://www.microbyteinc.com/ and taking the tests within the next year. Those of you who have your A+ Certification, what do you all think and what would you suggest I do now?

Thank you for your time.

WIP: A+ Certification
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings. There should be a pinned thread at the top of the A+ forum with book suggestions. The Mike Meyers tome is considered the best to study with. I'm not sure I understand your question about what you should be doing right now. If you mean to continue your studies, then pick up a book or two, have a couple of cheap PCs around to work on and start going through the material. If you've been working on computers for awhile, most of what's in these books shouldn't be too much of a stretch for you. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. sirbin2000

sirbin2000 New Member

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I was wondering what everyone thought about Exam Essentials 5.5. I am using that and will get some books soon.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not seen that one, sirbin, but it sounds like you may already be familiar enough with the hands on stuff that you might manage to take the A+ off your own back, and save the money for down the line if/when you decide to further your certs.

One question - you say you've been doing practice tests this last week - how have you got on with them ? If you are starting to score well, and understanding the reasons behind answers, then I'd say your well on the way to being ready to do this thing.

Just IMHO :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. sirbin2000

sirbin2000 New Member

Mosts of the tests I take I score around 50-60% and I haven't even studied anything yet. After I get some books, study a bit and take some courses I think I should be fine. One question, has anyone heard of Mycrobyte International? I'm think of taking their A+ courses and would like to know if anyone knows about them, I know they are with CompTIA but would just like to hear what other people think. Here's the side addy - http://www.microbyteinc.com/

Also, I want to know what you all think of these books; those of you who have read them:

- A+ Fast Pass by David Groth (Editor), Faithe Wempen (Editor), et al.
    - A+ Complete Study Guide, Third Edition (220-301 and 20-302) by David Groth
    - The A+ Exams Guide: (Exam 220-301), (Exam 220-302) by Christopher A. Crayton
    - Ultimate A+ Certification Exam Cram 2 Study Kit, The by James Jones, Craig Landes, Ed Tittle (Editor)

Thanks for your time.