New to site but intrested in old topic of May

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tina King, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Tina King

Tina King New Member

Hi I am new to here logged in after looking for skillstrain complaints page and got this one as someone had posted comment. I too are having problem as never started the computer course last oct2008 and tried to cancel... Result what started as payment from finace company £1600 is now reach £1900 throgh non payment. And after 1 debt collection agency threw it out they have gone to another in Manchester. Next step they are threatening to take me to court for not arranging payment plan.. I did not receive any funds so should skillstrain pay back £1600 to finance company it is technically their debt as no service/course has been given

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So - you signed up for something through a finance agreement, then never attended any courses or lectures? Did you cancel within the 'cooling off' period? All finance agreements are required by law to have a period during which you can change your mind and cancel. provided you cancelled within this period (and have proof of it), all you need to do is refer the company (either directly, or via the debt collection agency they are using) to this proof. If its legitimate, they can't enforce payment.

However, since its now nearly ten months since you signed up for it, I seriously doubt whether you have cancelled within the mandated cooling off period. If you had done so, it wouldn't have got this far. You're not going to like this, but if you haven't cancelled correctly, within the period specified by the finance agreement, then you are liable for the full sum you signed up for, plus any monies which you may accrue by the matter being referred to bailiffs/debt collection agencies. Skillstrain are not liable in the slightest for the course - its you who signed up for the finance agreement, the liability for repayment of the debt rests solely with you.

Like I said at the outset - if you can prove you cancelled the agreement properly, in writing, with the finance company within the cooling off period, you're fine. if not, no amount of hand-wringing will erase the fact that you now owe a considerable amount of money, and need to start making arrangements to pay it back as soon as possible. The last thing you want is a County Court Judgement against you. On the plus side for you (and the negative side for everyone with financial prudency) there is a large groundswell of opinion that banks & finance companies in general are responsible for the current financial mess by coercing people into obtaining easy credit that they had little chance of paying back. This means that you can probably enter into an agreement with the finance company concerned to construct a repayment plan on infitintely more favourable terms than would have been the case a couple of years ago.

If you are intent on pursuing the matter legally, my advice would be to seek legal advice - either through the legal aid system if, as I suspect, you don't have the means to pay for it, or via the citizens advice bureau. The Office Of Fair Trading will be useless for this - the company concerned haven't broken the law and are only doing, in essence, what any other company that provides a finance option for its customers do.

The best of luck to you.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em